Bag balm - leg mites?

ccshambhala

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Va
Just picked up a new rooster and am scared he might have scaly leg mites. He goes into quarantine when I get home with him - but I do not have any Vaseline. Can I use bag balm on his legs? Or is that too strong?

Thank you purpletree - it's great stuff to have around - potent smelling tho - and chickens are so small.... I was thinking the mentholate might be too much for birds...

Thank you purpletree - it's great stuff to have around - potent smelling tho - and chickens are so small.... I was thinking the mentholate might be too much for birds...

I don't know if that is scaly leg mite. Just to be safe treat him anyway. He has to be quarantine from your other chickens for 2 week anyway. Better to treat than have the mites introduced into your main coop. While your at it check him for lice and mites on his skin.

Castor oil is a good and inexpensive treatment, and has to only be applied occasionally compared to vaseline-based products from what I have read. It helps to gently scrub the scales in warm soapy water before applying oil or vaseline. Cooking oil is also used by some.

Eggcessive - do you think he has it? I will treat him either way (think I will try castor oil mixed with tea tree oil and neem) but I would like to know if he has them... if only to tell the owner so he can treat his flock before he sells anymore to someone else .... (I mentioned it kind of looked like it to me (mildly - a bad case is easily recognizable in pics) and he had never heard of them...)

Back
Top Bottom