Bagel Bread good treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cottagechick, Mar 1, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon

I saw an add on cl for "Bagel Bread for feed" It says highest protein flour available at 15% protein. $2 per 15# grocery bag full. It is from a bagel store...alsoe 300# of dough that they forgot to put salt in....is this a good idea to feed chickens or pp pigs?

Bagel Bread for Feed - $2 (4089 West 11th Ave )

Date: 2012-03-01, 11:49AM PST
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Bagel bread for livestock feed. Chickens and Bison love it. Highest protein bread flour available at 15 % protein. $ 2 per 15 # grocery bag full.
    Available at Bagel Sphere, 4089 West 11th Ave. Small or large purchases available, Also we have approximately 300 # of bad dough,( forgot the salt !), in the freezer for possible Hog food, otherwise gotta landfill it. Call 541-868-1072

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It personally doesn't sound very nutritious to me.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Feeding a lot of bread to chickens and pigs I would think you would end up with few eggs and a fat laden pig but I am no nutritionist. But do have common sense.

4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Well...I wasn't really planning to stop feeding them everything except the bread. I just saw it on craigslist and was wondering if it would work as an addition to feed, scraps, and free ranging. I am not sure what to say about the fact that you have common sense other than Congratulations???? I don't know if you were implying that I didn't have any or bragging that you did. So I will just err on thinking the best.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Birds love bread, I say go for it. Just as a treat would not hurt. Freeze the rest and use as goodie :)

6. LPOHHomestead

LPOHHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I agree with karlamaria - feed as a treat only. We have some old english muffins we bought in bulk a while back. I pull a few out of the freezer each weekend as a treat. They eat them up. Cornbread is also a favorite of our flock.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Pigs can eat almost anything, so go ahead and feed it to pigs.

Feed a little to the chickens as a treat. Freezing the bread and using a little each week is a great idea.

8. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Key words "a lot" and "common sense". I feed my chickens bread but maybe once a week and sometimes with a little olive oil on it for routine crop cleaning. Did not accuse you of not having common sense but was not sure of your intent with the bread as you did not post it. All I saw was" Bread for feed" and was going on that. Sorry if you interpreted it any other way. I think most people have lots of common sense but fail to exercise it and I am certainly not exempt as I have not it used many times.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    That's really interesting. That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Is crop cleaning something that I have to worry about with chickens?

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

First time I've heard it as well. Since I've kept birds for 50 years w/o any "crop cleaning" I assume you don't need to worry about it.
    As to the OP the bread is fine as a treat for chickens. It would also be good for finishing hogs. Common sense not withstanding.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by