Bags of food stored out in the cold.

You'll be fine, you just may have to replace them eventually once the sun weakens the plastic or a rodent chews through the side to get to the goods.

Many people use a galvanized trash can due to those two concerns - we did too, and it was fine for years but found out that after time if you don't inspect the lids before rain season, they can potentially leak water where the handle attaches, then get all your feed wet inside and rot it. I store my feed in a dry cabinet under the new coop now, but learning from that experience I try to only buy a max of 3 bags of feed so things don't get stale, as a bag lasts us about 2-3wks.

Good luck :wee

You'll be fine, you just may have to replace them eventually once the sun weakens the plastic or a rodent chews through the side to get to the goods.

Many people use a galvanized trash can due to those two concerns - we did too, and it was fine for years but found out that after time if you don't inspect the lids before rain season, they can potentially leak water where the handle attaches, then get all your feed wet inside and rot it. I store my feed in a dry cabinet under the new coop now, but learning from that experience I try to only buy a max of 3 bags of feed so things don't get stale, as a bag lasts us about 2-3wks.

Good luck :wee
Thanks. For now I dragged the large tote inside amd yea, three bags is perfect and I can close it properly. It’s not perfectly sealed so yeah I assume bugs can get in but inside of the run there has not been one animal that has gotten into in the last 2 years yours with the exception of a squirrel once when the doors were open but the birds made sure he got out really fast! Lol. His opened up a huge amount of room that a 50lb plastic tub on wheels can take up in your garage!!! Thanks for your response!

Cold temperatures aren't an issue (heat would be more problematic). Vermin are. You're dangling a feast out for any creature determined (or desperate) enough to break into it.

Raccoons are incredibly smart and have the dexterity to defeat simple latches. I wouldn't trust a bungee cord alone to keep them out of it. Likewise, mice can chew through plastic even if the lid is secure.

Those big totes usually have malleable lids that are easy to bend (and thus enter). I wouldn't use them for outdoor storage. Consider a metal garbage can with a secured or weighted lid, 5 gallon pales with screw lids, or some sort of dedicated outdoor pet food storage bin.

1- you need to keep the bin INSIDE or mice/squirrel will chew through it- unless it is metal. ANYTHING plastic, no matter how thick, can/will get chewed by hungry critters.

2- I hope you will be wrapping the Run area for the Winter and taking down the netting on the left side of the pic... snow will rip it off.

3- Is that the Nest on the wooden box marked EGGS ? That should be inside the coop or the eggs will freeze.

I am also in N.E.

I don't get winters, can't help there. Have yet to meat a plastic a rodent can't chew thru - though it takes a while w/ 5gal plastic buckets. Outdoor storage totes? Much thinner wall. One day its fine, next morning, its not.

Galvanized metal has its own issues. Water being the main, either from rain, or from condensation - and it will warm whatever is inside, encouraging mold/mildew growth if its exposed tot he sun.

Best bet, whatever you choose is inside/under roof. Will improve the longevity of whatever you settle upon. Less convenient? Sure - but I find my chickens jumping on me as I measure out feed to be inconvenient. The walk with a full bucket from inside the barn to out in the run is far more manageable (for me).

1- you need to keep the bin INSIDE or mice/squirrel will chew through it- unless it is metal. ANYTHING plastic, no matter how thick, can/will get chewed by hungry critters.
Or just look at it each day, and replace if needed.

It is fine until it isn't.
And when it isn't, it's time to get a new bin.

Yes, there is a chance that local critters will learn to chew through a new bin each night-- if that happens, switch to metal. But if they do not learn it has food inside, they often won't waste much time chewing it either.

Some people have had problems with plastic containers outside, but I have used various kinds of plastic barrels and garbage cans with no trouble. I think it must come down to what creatures live in what area. I tend to do what is convenient for me, and if it doesn't work I change it ;)

40 gallon Tupperware style container with bags of food. Can it be kept outside in the cold. We’re in the northeast. Will be inside an enclosed run. No animals will be able to get to it. Any thoughts? Their 5 gallon bucket of food is in the enclosed run all winter as well.
will make out life a bit easier

thanks
Gets to -30C here and it's fine
As long as it doesn't sweat in the container if it warms up it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom