Baikal and magellan goose update

Only ended up with with one male magellan. I screwed up by hitting the termostat knob on a bator while setting the lid of another is why I lost those as well as a full bator of other sweet eggs. The baikals were a success though. I raised up the four babies pictured above and then got a late pleasant surprise of 8 more. So ended up with a dozen . I traded some for new blood and Sorry but the others I had have already found new homes.(Already promised) but there is always the coming year, I now have 5 unrelated pairs . I just love Christmas and feel New Years is a great time for starting over on things, Forgiving and forgetting. Setting goals and achievements. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you Dr Todd and to all here on BYC as well !!!. Shawn

Last edited:
Congratulations! Great job on the Baikal! I would have to say they are probably the hardest of the teals to breed except maybe the Hartlaub's Teal.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

So now that you have achieved success with the Baikal what is the species you want to breed most this year???
fl.gif

Dr. Todd

More Baikals! haha. But yes Im serious. I really want to work with them still and get even more new blood. I may also try to play with American widgeons a bit more. It would be cool to luck out and get a storm widgeon. Any widgeon is my sons fav. Ive cut back really alot on my waterfowl.

Why did you cut back on waterfowl? Seemed like you were building up with the new pond???
Man a STORMY would be
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
AWESOME!!!!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Fingers crossed for you on them AND the Baikal too!!!
thumbsup.gif

DT

Thanks ! I mainly cut back so I could lighten my daily workload and travel a little more. The pond sure helped alot with that. Ive had tons of fun for years when I had a bunch. But as you and others here know its hard work when you have lots of any kinds of birds or animals, Let alone quackers and the mess and upkeep of waterfowl. Even though I do love them. Plus it was a bugger to get someone to take care of so many when I'd try and go off somewhere for a couple days. I sure like my feed bill alot better now. Im also enjoying a few new pheasants and my four peafowl. Especially like my new little tragopan boy. What are you having fun with and/or keeping now in the bird world?

I'm working with amarican goldeye right now.Today I walked in their pen and I Saw them mateing so maybe eggs to come sone! I am also working with n.a. Ruddy ducks . I also am starting with smew and hooded mergansers i got a pair of smew for Christmas . They should get here some time in January and I am still looking for a hoodie hen I have a drake.I am also getting a pair of Baikel teal,greater scaup,and tufted ducks with the smew.

Hi Destin - Totally understand why you'd scale back on the ducks and keep the simpler pheasants!!!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
Keeping up with changing ponds is a HUGE pain in the butt and I'll tell you what but feed prices aren't getting any cheaper!!!
somad.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
sickbyc.gif
That's why I'm only keeping my faves now...Woodies, Mandies, Red-crested Pochard, Rosy-bills and saving my pennies for Black-necked swans. LOVE that red face!!!
droolin.gif
love.gif
droolin.gif

That's great Dylan. Does my heart good to see you younger folks getting full on into it. Hope you have good luck with the goldeneyes and the others. Sounds like you already are. When I had em mine fought constantly. Although everyone else seems to never have that problem and I bet you wont either. I have kept several divers with good luck but the goldeneyes are my achilles heel. I thought I scaled back alot but geez I just now counted real quick after cleaning the pond and pools and still have over 60 birds total. Im hopeless. lol! Those black faced Swans are one of my favs Dr Todd. All those birds you keep are nice and thats why Im keeping mine too and downloaded some of the others. Me and my son miss not having rosybills anymore with their cool red face as well.

Back
Top Bottom