Baked Homemade winter treats

Moodene

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Devers, Texas
I baked alot of these during the winter and stock them in my fridge or ice box.

Preheat Oven at 300 degrees.
Cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
Have about 5 C of hot boiling water ready. I have a tea kettle full of hot water ready..
In a big bowl add all these items together..

2 C scratch
2 C black oil sunflower seeds- easier to swallow-don't use dried big sunflower seeds that are for birds-too dry
2 C grits--this can be another kind of grain
2 C rolled oats---this acts like glue to hold the stuff together
1 C powdered milk-calicum

Pour about 2 cups of water into the mix and start stirring but you will have to keep adding water to the mixture until it looks gummy.If you poured too much water in it..and just add more rolled oats to the mixture and it will soak up the water..Make the mixture gummy so it will form a mound of gooey stuff on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it..if you don't..the mixture will stick to the cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 mins and check after that to make sure the treats are hard..if not..bake some few mins more and check..I am not sure if you can make them like cupcakes in baking paper cups since I did not have baking paper cups handy..LOL..but if you do..let me know how they turned out..
Here is a pic of mine that I made..I am gonna take a pic of my chickens eating these treats..
You can pack them away in the fridge or the freezer-like I do and put them in microwave to warm them up or rebake them...
Some chickens will not eat them right away since they don't know what they are until they get use to what the treats are..mine knows...

DSC09128.jpg

Thanks for the idea, recipe and photo!

Here's a thought and a dumb question . . .

dumb question: Is parchment paper the same as wax paper?

thought: Since beans and peas really should be cooked before feeding, maybe split peas and lentils would be good additions.

Steve

No..parchment paper is for baking..wax paper is not..too much wax on it..and no question is too dumb to answer..lol..
lol.png

Ya can'y hardly see the treats but last pic shows a rooster looking at one..he is a blue orp and just now learn what they are..lol

I just took and made a pot of oatmeal and added 1 cup of raw rice , 1 cup of creme of wheat . 1 cup of grits ( the cooking grits ) not what you buy at feedstore . LOL added more water of course and they LOVED IT .....

My question is , CAN chickens have raw chopped up celery with also the green from the stalks ?

I know they can not have onions or garlic because the eggs will capture the taste . YUCK

Back
Top Bottom