Is my hens diet ok?

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all

I recently posted about my really unwell Silkie who I’m not sure is going to pull through, we’re at a loss as to what is wrong but one thing I’m worried about is vitamin deficiency or if I’ve done something wrong with their diet.

I wondered if anybody would let me know their thoughts on the girls diet/ what I need to change and what I could add in or do differently.

Thanks so much:

Morning: Garvo Alfamix : https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/products/garvo-alfamix-for-chickens

And versele laga layers mini mix described as:
Fine grain mixture with a 2mm laying pellet for all adult chickens. Gold 4 Mini Mix is a complete chicken feed and is ideal for bantams from week 18 and during the entire egg-laying period.
This popular feed contains a high-grade mixture of fine grains and a 2 mm special laying pellet.
It contains all the ingredients, minerals and vitamins necessary for a regular lay and a strong eggshell. The fine grains and small pellets make it ideal for bantams.
Calcium Plus
An optimal combination of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D3 guarantees strong eggshells and a healthy skeleton.

Gastro grit in their feed and free choice

I add a aviform multivitamin supplement too

In their water they have a respiratory tonic as I do have mycroplasma in my flock and then 2 plain waters as well

They get chopped red grapes, tomatoes and strawberries and some mealworms

In the afternoon they get Garvo chicken treats,described as;

They contain dried amphipods and silkworms, as well as whole and crushed seeds. Your Chickens will love them, packed with protein, they consider amphipods a true delicacy.

if it’s hot some watermelon and some brown shrimp (my elderly hens loves this)

They also free range so have access to grass,

I’m worried I may have overloaded on the vitamins or alternatively the diet is not balanced and has caused a deficiency

I’d be really grateful for any advice and critique on their diet

Thank you !

I can not see an analysis for the feed. Is it in the label, or am just missing it on the website?
My concern with feeding a feed like that, which is made up of individual grains and stuff, if that they can pick out the bits they like. Like if you put a kid in a grocery store, they might only pick out the sweets and not the healthy foodstuffs.
You can use it, but make sure they have completely finished it, before giving them any more. Or see if you can get a pelleted form instead.
I would really like to know the protein % of both the feed, and the treats.

I can not see an analysis for the feed. Is it in the label, or am just missing it on the website?
My concern with feeding a feed like that, which is made up of individual grains and stuff, if that they can pick out the bits they like. Like if you put a kid in a grocery store, they might only pick out the sweets and not the healthy foodstuffs.
You can use it, but make sure they have completely finished it, before giving them any more. Or see if you can get a pelleted form instead.
I would really like to know the protein % of both the feed, and the treats.
The Garvo Alfamix from their website

Composition​

wheat, dari red, maize cracked, soya dehulled extracted toasted, broken peas, rape seed extracted, maize cracked lp, maize gluten feed, lime stones, spinach seed, millet yellow, wheatflakes, shell grit, carrot pellets, safflowerseed, sunflowerseed black, oats peeled, dari white, millet red, maizemash, linseed, buckwheat, dried amphipods, rape seed, dried shrimp, organic acids, brewer's yeast, lecithin

analytical constituents/kg​

crude protein 15,2 %, crude fat 4,6 %, crude fibre 5,8 %, crude ash 10,5 %, calcium 26,49 g, phosphorus 4,42 g, sodium 0,95 g, lysin 6,58 g, methionin 2,63 g

Addition/kg Vitamins​

3a672a Vitamin(e) A 10000 IU, 3a671 Vitamin(e) D3 2000 IU, 3a700 Vitamin(e) E 65 mg

Addition/kg Traces​

copper (3b413 Cu(II)chelate of glycine hydrate, solid) 11 mg, zinc (3b607 Zn-chelate of glycine hydrate) 40 mg, manganese (3b506 Mn-chelate of glycine hydrate) 79 mg, iron (3b103 Fe(II)sulphate monohydrate) 57 mg, iodine (3b202 calcium iodate anhydrous) 1 mg, selenium (3b812 Se-organic CNCM 1-3399) 0.13 mg

Addition/kg pigments​

2a161g canthaxanthin (marigold) 4 mg, 2a161b lutein(e) 3.7 mg

https://www.garvo.nl/en/assortment/1055-alfamix-chickens/

Have you got a diagnosis for what's wrong with your silkie? What makes you think the problem is caused by the diet? Are the other birds that have the same diet also ill?

That apart, try to find on the bag the date of manufacture, or the Best Before date. If it's old it might be a or the problem.

Back
Top Bottom