Baking with Duck Eggs?!

katlovesaandw

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Oregon
Ok, I have checked online via google and read some stuff on here and while duck eggs are more protien and richer.... there doesnt seem to be anything different when using them for baking.... right?
I made a package of brownies yesterday and decided to use our 1st 2 duck eggs since they are renowned for baking.
Had to get the whisk out to mix since the yolks and whites were thicker than my chicken eggs.

1st, the brownies were really bubbly on top. Then when I cut them to feed to family, there consistency was thick and condensed like rubber, even looked odd. Both my boys tasted 1 bite and didnt like them, so we tossed the whole pan.
Now, this is the package mix I always use..... only thing changed was using 2 fresh(pulled from nesting box Fri and Sat) duck eggs.

Online says they can be used in place of chicken eggs and they should make the cakes, etc. lighter and fluffier and richer tasting.

Is this true? Is there a trick for baking with duck eggs? Hints, tips?

Honestly, i have baked very few items with duck eggs. However, i can personally tell you they are AMAZING for pasta!! MY mom and i make about 200 ravioli for a dozen duck eggs. It is far superior to chicken eggs. I would keep trying, and eventually you will come up with the right ratio!

I don't know what went wrong with your mix. Perhaps over mixing the browny mix? Brownies are a little bit different when it comes to mixing. I sometimes beat the duck eggs first before adding to any dough. I use the same amount of duck egg as you would for chicken egg, but increase my baking time by 5 minutes. You can also increase the flour by a tablespoon for each duck egg. Overall everything is more moist with duck eggs. This may be an issue in brownies, since they are already moist and sticky. Try another recipe before giving up. All my baked goods are so much better since I use duck eggs.

I use duck eggs for baking when I have them your cake are lighter and raise high just with them, i have a pumpkin bread recipe that i will not make without duck eggs, oooh I wish my duck where laying

My Portuguese Sweet Bread Always tastes better with duck eggs. The famous restaurants in Europe ONLY bake with duck eggs. Breads - especially sweet breads always are SO much better! Only use duck eggs for my cinnamon rolls - OH YEAH! Makes the breads lighter and richer tasting. - I never use a box mix so don't know if that makes a difference. ( When I retired, I said if I could not make it that is the only time I would buy it... hence - no boxed mixes) I am basically a very cheap person :)

I use 2 duck eggs for my brownies made with mix. I also mix mine together in bowl before putting in ... Brownies taste richer with duck eggs they bring out the chocloate flavor.... For brownies from scratch I use however many the recipe calls for.. Have never had any problems with both coming out YUMMMMY !!!!. I use duck eggs when I make bread too.. make it moister and richer..

could of been the mix..

Duck eggs made my pound cakes famous. Everyone asks me to make them for every occasion. Don't give up. Brownies are already so moist and fudgey anyway, so maybe thats the problem.

Just a tip: I use 1 duck egg in place of 2 chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom