Balance Issues in Otherwise Healthy (?) Hen

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hello everyone,

I have recently been alerted that one of my favorite hens is struggling with balance issues. She was completely fine yesterday, but today can barely walk without flapping and falling. She seems okay otherwise and is still lively and excited to eat. She's about a year old and has never had any other issues. I got her from a breeder and I'm not sure if she's vaccinated or not (I think she might be?). I've included a video of her in this post. It's bad quality, but hopefully it's enough to give you the idea of what's going on.

Also I must add that I am away at college but visit home frequently (yesterday), but I am not home currently to monitor her. I've been communicating with my mom who is with her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Maren

It would really be hard to know if this could be Mareks or a leg or hip injury, since it is hard to see the legs very well due to the feathered legs. It does appear that she might has some paresis or numbness of the left leg which goes along with Mareks. But I would rule out a broken leg or even a back injury. Can your Mom take her to a local vet for an exam? Can you check with the breeder to find out if she was vaccinated?

Yikes, I was really hoping it wouldn’t be Marek’s. I just got word from my mom that she is indeed unvaccinated. I’ll see if she can take her in somewhere, the vet we’ve gone to in the past hasn’t been much help. Is there anything I could do at this point to protect the others or would it be too late if it is indeed Marek’s?

Many people, probably the majority do not vaccinate their chickens. But sometimes it is good to know that information when trying to guess about leg issues. I would try to feel of the leg and look for any swelling, redness, green bruising, or painful areas. Look at the footpads for any bumblefoot scab. If it is a sprain forcing rest for a week and then re-evaluating the leg would be good. Vitamin B Complex 1/4 tablet crushed daily on food might be helpful.

My mom says she seems a little better today and is still lively and exploring the yard. All of our other chickens are perfectly healthy. How quickly does Marek’s spread?

I’ll be going home this weekend and I’ll feel around on her leg when I do. Thank you so much for the advice!

Edited to say: she is lively and active but still exhibiting balance problems and is “wobbly”.

Mareks symptoms can appear 3 or more weeks after a chicken has been exposed from a carrier. Usually it shows up earlier in their lives, 6-26 weeks is about average, but can affect any age if exposed. Silkies seem to be a breed that is affected more often than some.

Another possibility is a tendon issue that is sometimes caused by a leg bone deformity or slipped tendon. She seems like a lerky little hen, and I really hope it is not Mareks. The B complex vitamins might help.

upload_2019-11-14_18-56-59.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 2.08.31 PM.png
Yikes, I was really hoping it wouldn’t be Marek’s. I just got word from my mom that she is indeed unvaccinated. I’ll see if she can take her in somewhere, the vet we’ve gone to in the past hasn’t been much help. Is there anything I could do at this point to protect the others or would it be too late if it is indeed Marek’s?

20191114_181456.jpg

Mareks is difficult cause it is spread by feather dander

Last edited:
Well it's been about 3 weeks since we first noticed her balance issues, and they persisted for a while but have slowly gotten better. Now I barely even notice her having balance problems at all. She seems to have overcome it completely. I'm not sure what the issue has been... Could she have had a vitamin deficiency? All of our other chickens are perfectly healthy as well!

Back
Top Bottom