1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald Banty -- Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robocluck, Dec 5, 2013.

1. robocluck

robocluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    My beautiful little girl used to be the same partridge pattern (maroon and black) all over, then all of a sudden one morning she's missing almost all of their head feathers! This was a week ago.. No more change, and she looks and acts healthy. Help! It's cold outside!

[​IMG]
    http://i39.tinypic.com/seq7mq.jpg

[​IMG]
    http://i39.tinypic.com/xpwvaa.jpg

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree, she has pin feathers on her head. Either she molted her head feathers out, or other chicken(s) have been pulling her feathers out. It surely looks like they are growing back, so no problem. You may want to examine her for mites and other chickens as well.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Looks like moulting to me.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC form northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]Happy you joined us! And Merry Christmas!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's molting - nothing to worry about just the annual shedding and replacement of feathers. Welcome to BYC.

8. robocluck

robocluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks, Everyone, and Happy New Year!!

My banty has grown her head back in nicely, but now two more issues!

1) My eggs have been in the 41 egg incubator with auto turner for 7 days, and I just lost power this morning for 5.5 hours, which slowly brought the temp down from 99.5F to 70F. Should I just eat my eggs and start over with fresh ones? My oldest eggs were laid 13 days ago but not placed into the incubator until 7 days ago. The oldest eggs all sat indoors at 60-70F until then. When I replaced one dirty egg with a fresh one for my final eggs added (I have to open once a day to add water and I was completely full of eggs in 6 days ; temp only dips to 80F when I do so), it did have a blood vessel clearly visible in the frying pan.

2) Someone (the rooster or the drake) stabbed my banty just below/behind her left eye, and her eye itself is fine, but her lower and upper eyelid swelled all up. I put eye ointment on it, and the swelling is back down, and new eyelid tissue is looking good both top and bottom, and she's full of energy. BUT ... the old upper and lower eyelid skin fused shut and is still there, blocking her vision. Her eyelids are essentially stuck closed. How do I get this skin to fall off and let her see on that side again? It's been about 2 weeks!

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

Oh ya molting it is normal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by