Bald belly— is this molting??

mamak77

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Three of my hens have bald bellies, but don’t seem to be molting anywhere else. I couldn’t catch them all this afternoon so I only have pics of one here, but they all look similar. No broodiness, they seem to be eating and drinking fine, and I can’t see any evidence of lice or mites in the coop or on them (but I’ve never dealt with them before so maybe I’m missing something?). I’m in Florida, and these girls are about 2 years old
CEA3E537-102A-47E9-834B-A7C182280C57.jpeg
C68E56A8-CA98-4646-B829-1AA681A057B7.jpeg
0E621E0D-472F-4ABE-875F-269AC5FAFDB6.jpeg
. Any help is appreciated!

Are they broody?? Broody hens sometimes pluck their chest feathers to get more heat on the eggs. I haven’t really seen them pluck feathers from that far back, though.

Are they broody?? Broody hens sometimes pluck their chest feathers to get more heat on the eggs. I haven’t really seen them pluck feathers from that far back, though.
No, they aren’t broody at all, they are just bopping around like normal. Could it be from mites or something? That’s what I’m worried about, it didn’t seem like a molt. 😫

Ok. What did you discover? was it a molt or mites, cuz mine are doing the exact same thing this year, and they are a little over a year old. I can't see any mites/lice and it's just their bellies. 2 out of five. What did you have to do if anything?

Ok. What did you discover? was it a molt or mites, cuz mine are doing the exact same thing this year, and they are a little over a year old. I can't see any mites/lice and it's just their bellies. 2 out of five. What did you have to do if anything?
Yes I have one out four that is the same. Looks sore but doesn’t seem to be bothering her. Would like to know how to deal with it

Welcome to BYC!! :welcome :wee:celebrate:ya
Question: is she the lower chicken in the pecking order? My two are the two lowest, and the other night as they were going to bed I noticed the next one up in the pecking order was literately picking at her but feathers! Now i don't know if she was picking cuz she was picking on her or if the lack of feathers attracted her to pick it.

I also just got done with a permithin dip and massive cleansed and spray and of their coop. I have still not seen any evidence of anyting though, so I don't know if I just wasted my money or what, but at least everyone should be clean now, including the coop. I even only saw one tiny spider. so I really don't know what's going on

Back
Top Bottom