Bald bum with cuts

goldstar1992

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
I have a problem with a few of my hens, 3 of them have bald bums with cuts on them. I do have a cockerel and maybe he is the cause for this but i just want to be sure its not any disease.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you

Is it just one like that?
Looks like possibly the start of cannibalism. Where do they sleep - in relation to one another.
What makes up their total feed intake?

There are 3 of them that have it, They all sleep together in a house some on the perches and others decide to sleep on the floor.
They have "Small Holder Range" Layers pellets, then just corn & other usual things as a treat

I had a few like that before that slept on the floor together. In the morning one would be chewed up and I was sure rats were getting in. Then one evening just before dark I saw 2 chewing the tail and meat off of another.
Encourage them to sleep on the roost by placing them up there and increase their protein for a while.
Cut out the treats/corn and mix in some higher protein feed. The layer is likely 16% protein. You want to up it to about 18 for a while.
For the next couple days give them some tuna, mackerel or other fish/meat like turkey, chicken or beef.

Depending on what makes up the treats and along with the corn and how much those things supplant the layer feed, Their total protein intake could be down to 13%. That's enough to encourage feather picking and cannibalism.

Back
Top Bottom