Bald butt and swollen below vent.

This happened to one of my chickens. I tried the treatment for a bound egg. Soaked in warm water for 30 min massaged and kept under heat lamp. No egg I then dusted her and all the ground and hay in the coup with diatomatious earth (make sure it is not what you use for swimming pools) which is supposed to treat mites. It worked! Swelling is down and she is getting back to normal. The other chickens were not affected.

My BO Fluff also has this same "ailment" only being a large breed the "water ballon area" below the vent is more like the size of a softball rather than a tennis ball. It is warm and red. She had poopy reside sticking to what feathers were left. She allowed me to clean her up and will let me touch. She is in the house in "sick bay". Her first night in she laid between 7 -11 pm -- off for her biological clock, but otherwise normal appearing egg. I used saline solution and hydrogen peroxide to clean her up and other than realizing just how badly chicken poop is inside the house smells
sickbyc.gif
there's nothing alarming. The remaining flock all has normal pale colored bottomsides and vents.
She's not very active as she's in a room with no windows -- she's politely chatty when I engage with her and doesn't seem to be in distress - none the less I'm worried. Any words of advice?

This is exactly what was going on with my jersey giant girl before the bottom of her abdomen SPLIT OPEN! I hope someone figures out what exactly is going on here.

Quote:
I'm so amazed at how common this weird condition is! I'm not sure what to do yet either? my hen is isolated because I'm giving her antibiotics in her water, but she is behaving normally also! she is still laying, eating etc... I think I'll keep treatment going for a few days, if I don't see any improvement, or if she gets worse, I'll take her to the vet! She doesn't appear to be in any pain or suffering whatsoever, and I hate invasive and expensive vet bills!

i just posted something like this. i have a barred rock with a swollen ummm behind i guess. and its red and looks like she had lost feathers.
ive been giving her ESalt soaks and its going down slowly but no one could really answer what it was. i thought maybe she was egg bound but when i felt it. it was gooshy.
i hope someone can help us.

me too.. its just worring when your chickens dont look right lol even if they act right.
i just have no clue. im glad that pot pie has lived a wonderful life with it meaning that its not to harmful.
just unsightly

We have had her for over five years and she just keeps on clucking
wink.png
lol.png

Up until now, all the birds with this problem seem to be hens of laying age. I'd like to add an element & "stir the pot" so to speak, in hopes of figuring out the problem & the cure. I have Silkies & I have had 2 chicks now with a problem that seems very similar. I noticed the first one when it was just a week or so old, mainly because it was bald all around the vent & about an inch down the abdoman. When I examined it, the whole bald area was enlarged & very soft & squishy. The chick is about 2 months old now & the condition is still the same. I have it marked so I don't accidentally sell it to someone but apparently I did just that with a 2nd chick. One of my buyers came out to buy more chicks & she asked me to look at one of the ones she had bought last time she was out. It has the very same thing!! She said the chick was that way when she bought it but she thought it had just been picked on so didn't think anything about it until it started isolating itself from the other birds, at which time she brought it inside. It's now about 3 mos old & she's attached to it & wants to keep it & try curing it. Since she is so willing to try & help the chick, I gave her another chick anyway & now I'm on the hunt to try & find out what's going on with these two & to see what we can do to help them. Remember, this started when they were young chicks, don't know if they are hens or roos & the abdoman is swollen & squishy, like an underfilled waterbed. Any suggestions?
Country

Back
Top Bottom