Bald butt and swollen below vent.

Pics
Almost all of my white broiler chickens butts are red and swollen and they do not have any feathers below and around their vents. They are 8 weeks old.

Hmm.. I just arrived home with 4 new chickens (2 orp pullets, 2 leghorns) and after letting them out into the pen I realized one of my Leghorns has a featherless, swollen mass under her vent. She was taken out of the box to bring to me, so could she just possibly have an egg sitting there waiting to be 'let free'? Though.. that doesn't explain the lack of feathers.. I've contacted the seller and done business with her in the past so I'm sure the birds are of quality and she will respond promptly.

She's acting completely normal, as I would expect her to, and is jumping in and out of the raised coop, crusin' around and making herself at home.. she's eating, drinking and is a little noisy but I suspect that's due to the move...

I just heard back from the breeder/seller. She said "They should be fine!! Most of the leghorns tend to look like that, and they always start looking pretty rough this time of year it seems." If it persists or gets worse, i'll contact her again, as well as my vet.

Have an australorp with this problem. We just got her and a few others from a friend a week or two ago but it's developed since then, don't think she had it when we got her. We've also had a crazy amount of rain lately and were battling some mites, though they're now under control. She's one of our biggest and healthiest seeming birds and is acting completely normal. Hope some one can come up with a definitive diagnosis, some of the ideas in the last couple pages sound like they're getting close to the mark.

After I made my post a few days ago, my Leghorn produced 2 eggs in 1 day. The swelling has gone down immensely, and it's much less red/irritated looking. Still no feathers on her bum, obviously, but hopefully after her Moult they'll come in.

Bought a barred rock today sight unseen. When I went to pick her up, this is what I got. My other chickens are healthy and I'm afraid to stick her in the coop with them but don't have the option of returning either. She was very, very dirty and poo covered, and has been wpenes recently. The man told me she was just molting, but I don't think so! I washed her up in warm water, apple cider vinegar, and salt water. She seems to feel fine, but look awful!

Hi iam new on here, my buff cochin has swollen but under vent, the vet did a autopsy on one of them and they said its fat tissue my friend said she don't believe that, iam worried cause the one the vet autopsy on her swollen butt was burst open like bleeding bad, and I don't want these 2 happen the same way. please can a expert chicken person tell me what it is and how I can help? I can show u a picture?

here's on of my buff cochins swollen butt,, I only got 2 buff cochins I use to have 11 of them but fox got most of them,

Back
Top Bottom