Bald chicken/turkey??**Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoxyOtis, Jul 28, 2010.

1. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I found this bird on Craigslist for free and couldnt pass it up!Im just not sure if it's a chicken or turkey or something else......So any ideas would be nice!Thanks.

(sorry the pics are so blurry,Only have a camera phone at the moment)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think she must be Mal-nourished....Also if anyone knows if its a standard or bantam that would be helpful too [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice
    ~Kayla

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    At that size turkeys should still have neck feathers I think... I think it's a chicken cause I think I see some comb formation, must just have chicken pattern baldness!!
    It could of have been plucked by the other chicks it was with.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I don't think that's a comb - I think it's just still loosing its fuzz. I think that is a malnourished turkey. What kind I'm not sure but it needs some high protein feed and lots of it.

4. RoxyOtis

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I thought she could have been picked at by the other chicks.....I just HAD to have her after I say that bald head! [​IMG]

OH I forgot to add that she/he still makes chickie baby noises,if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!

5. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Is it kind of whistling? I'm pretty sure that's a turkey poult - maybe five or six weeks? Does that little patch of fuzz up by its eyes look patchy like it could peel off? If it really is a comb - then I'm totally wrong - if it's not a comb - that's a turkey. [​IMG]

6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote chicken. Looks like it has a comb and I don't see a little snood nubbin... Maybe an EXTREME NN? My little turkey poults are 5 weeks old now both burbon reds and royal palms and they're not near that bald. Good luck, and keep us posted with pictures of them growing up.

7. RoxyOtis

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I THINK it is a turkey...There isn't a comb and it has a fuzzy head....Is there anyway to tell how old she/he is?

She does have a slight whistle too.

8. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I'm going to guess broad breasted bronze - I think some of them mature more quickly than other breeds. But she seems small for having lost all of her head fuzz - which may be because she was eating chicken feed without enough protein. At least six weeks - maybe as many as 8. My Dad's broad breasted whites look like that somewhere between six and eight weeks. I would also say that when mine started loosing their fuzz - the chickens happily helped that process along which may account for why it's smallish and without any down on its head. It needs some high protein feed made for gamebirds/turkeys.

9. RoxyOtis

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I will be heading to the feed store first thing in the morning,But until then I made her some eggs....She ate them all!Boy she was HUNGRY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by