Bald chickens?

starystoryteller

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
I have 5 full grown golden sexlinks and 3 teenagers of the same breed. All seem healthy after I treated for worms. But I have one girl who seemes to be going bald up by her comb and her tail is little more than the suggestion of a wisp. They all seem to be getting along and I have a camera in the hen house and haven't noticed any pecking of the feathers. But I cant rule out bullying. She doesn't sleep on the roost bar anymore, but that started after the neighbor kids gave her too much love one day(she was limping and squawking at every touch, I almost put her down just to have pity on her, but opted for time in the clear medical tote where she became my constant companion with Asprin for pain relief and lots of reassurances every time she called out.... a head stroke and egg laced with Asprin calmed her everytime once she realized she wasnt going anywhere....she was walking almost normal by morning so I let it ride and let her rejoin the flock but kept up the pain killer treats for three days)....the feather and balding issues predated the roost issue.

I give them their choice of layer pellets, scratch grains (they hate the lentils), oats and worms (treats only), and free range grazing on as many bugs and grass as they can catch. I give them comfy and green kitchen scraps periodically and if they get sick they all get a probiotic yougert and egg(to boost the protein content, add trace micro nutrients they could be missing, and act as a palatable carrier for meds...no egg eaters in my flock yet)mash laced with as many herbs as pertains mixed in with a hand full of feed...

My girls are free ranged, I only close the door at night for predator protection and they still have full access to the run with its water and food under a full roof in addition to the actual hen house.

Any idea why she might be balding? Suggestions to prevent further loss?

I didnt notice any molting in fall and spring but they did molt just before they started laying in August....its nearly July now.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Can you post some photos?

Going bald around the comb and near the tail is generally due to picking unless you have a rooster.
It may be worth looking her over for lice and mites too.

Back
Top Bottom