Bald Eagle Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LY, Jun 29, 2010.

1. LY

LY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Edgewood
    Please help - last week a Bald Eagle attacked a young hen. She's not walking, but still eating. I see no puncture wounds, but I'm sure she has some. I've separated her from the rest of the flock, she's still eating and drinking. Any advice would be extremely helpful. I'm hoping she will make it through.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If she's eating, she's not in the worst way, because they will stop eating when very bad- at least that's normally the case.

I would let her dictate the comfort and feed her lots of high protein things like tuna and scrambled eggs.

I had a girl with a broken pelvis who stayed down for over a month, and then she started to move again, getting stronger over time. Keep an eye on any signs of infection and have something ready from the feed store.

I'm glad she survived so far! What a story!

[​IMG]

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yikes So sorry.I have managed some hawk attack's before. Not much you can do just keep the bird warm dry and food and water.If she doesn't have skin wound's she May possibly have some internal injurie's.Maybe just stressed and traumatized.I am still dealing with a Millie Fleur Roo from a racoon attack a couple day's ago .Hopefully Your hen will be ok.Just offer food and water and maybe a little comfort a couple times a day to get her over the trauma.Unless you can afford a vet And most likely if it has serious internal or spinal injurie's your best to deal with it yourself.Lot's of people here can offer advice.Hope she does ok .Plz update us.

4. LY

LY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Edgewood
    UPDATE: The hen the Bald Eagle attacked is doing much better - she's been getting lots of extra goodies. We will reintroduce her slowly back to the rest of the flock. Thanks for the advice. You just never know what will happen.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Wow , rare for bald eagle to go after chicken...plus would think it would have carried her away. Bald eagle more of a fish eagle..sure they take a few ducks.

Did you stop the attack ?

My guess she is more stressed from the attack. Sound like she will be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by