Bald Eagle Attack

Bald eagles are definite predators of ducks. They can carry them right in the air with no problem and will toss small ducks around to each other. They can be a threat to geese as well, but less likely. I think I read that 40% of their diet, on average, are ducks and coots. The rest of their diet is composed of fish and other birds/animals. I would definitely be concerned for your ducks if they stick around.

The geese at our lake, even the domestic ones, almost always alert to birds of prey even if it's just a small hawk. They totally ignore vultures.

Last edited:
When I had the girls out in the garden yesterday I suddenly noticed that they were all very quiet with their eyes trained straight above. I followed their stare and, amazement of amazement, see a bald eagle circling overhead! This is kind of exceptional because we rarely see many in the city. Everyone herded solemnly into the run like they realized how grave the consequence could be!
Later in the evening I hear the dog going nuts, so I look out...there's a giant raccoon going down the driveway! First one I've seen near the house since I got the ducks.
Spring! There's always a little bad with the good I suppose.

Bald Eagles often feed on ducks and other waterfowl in the wild, and domestic ones are often easier to catch, so if they find out that they can get an 'easy' meal they will come back. Balds are more than capable of killing even a fully grown goose, although if the fowl is heavier than the eagle he won't be able to fly off with his meal. Balds can be very hard to defend against short of netting in the pen, but having either water deep enough for them to 'dive' to safety or trees/shrubs to provide sufficient cover is a great help to the duckies.

My friend had a huge eagle swoop down and carry off her one year old sabastopol goose early this year and she alswae has to keep an eye out cause she has about 500 chickens, 150 ducks, and 25 geese and evey day she has at least 3 different eagles and 6-8 hawks Fly over and take a look, even if she is outside waving a broom and yelling the hawks and eagles still swoop down and try to pick off a bird

Back
Top Bottom