Bald Eagle Chicken??

Can't speak for RP, but for me definately the latter.
lau.gif
You...are naughty!
roll.png

You didn't buy them from Greenfire Farms, did you? They are ridiculously expensive and they specialize in imported breeds. I was looking at their Rhodebar pictures and was impressed by the beauty of these birds. Love the red crele pattern. But they're too rich for my blood. I'll just be content with my Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Buckeyes, and Barred rocks. And my last lone Golden comet who lays the biggest eggs of the bunch.
No, I didn't get them from Greenfire or another hatchery. ;) Yes, GF birds are extremely pricey, but as far as I know...they spend thousands just getting them into the country, I think? So I can see why they charge so much (but I won't be buying from there). lol

Fad breeds do sell high to certain people. The other day I saw Coronation Sussex hens go for $2 each.They were nice. The meat buyer let me handle them before he crated them up. Sometimes supply and demand works for the seller, other times for the buyer. Tom

Quote: Cost depends on rarity and quality. You may get a hatchery bird for $5 or less, but a breeder who has gone to the trouble of getting the best birds, of evaluating every generation of their birds for breed characteristics and health, who only breeds the best birds and culls the rest is not going to sell even their cast offs for $5.

Some people don't care about all that. No one says they have to. If all they want are eggs, they are better off buying cheap birds. Beginners especially may be better off getting their experience with cheap birds.

If you want good Russian Orloffs, I can recommend Rare Feathers Farm. Her birds are not cheap, but they're very good quality.

Quote: Greenfire Farm is expensive, but the costs of bringing birds into the USA are high, and they have to recoup their money. They're running a busness, not a charity. If I could afford their birds, I'd buy from them, but I can't. The breeds they bring in do get less expensive after a few years as more people start raising them.

Cost depends on rarity and quality. You may get a hatchery bird for $5 or less, but a breeder who has gone to the trouble of getting the best birds, of evaluating every generation of their birds for breed characteristics and health, who only breeds the best birds and culls the rest is not going to sell even their cast offs for $5.

Some people don't care about all that. No one says they have to. If all they want are eggs, they are better off buying cheap birds. Beginners especially may be better off getting their experience with cheap birds.

If you want good Russian Orloffs, I can recommend Rare Feathers Farm. Her birds are not cheap, but they're very good quality.

Since they are a breed without a standard description exactly how does one determine which birds are of "good quality"?

Back
Top Bottom