Bald Eagles are after our chickens

You know what's really sad? The chicken I lost and the wounded chicken are both from my first girls. They are 4 years old and rarely lay eggs, but they are my favorites. Shirl was

Well, if they are on top of it, the eagle will get them. For this reason we really have to think through the tunnel ideas. It's all so complicated, isn't it?
That’s sad I always hope my favorites don’t get taken, so far I have not lost anyone.

I ordered a net from amazon 50 x 50 works tree to tree use a pole to get it high in the trees
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWB97B2/?tag=backy-20
Penny, we are practically neighbors, although I'm on the other side of the river. The net is 50" x 50", so I'm guessing you don't toss it over the tree just attach it between trees, right? I don't think that would even cover one of the trees, so tying it off to branches or setting up poles to attach it to?

I love, love, love that! Thanks for sharing the photos!!! The cage over your veggies is a great tunnel idea too!
I open it up and let my girls go to town and then I close it up and let the plants grow back. I also have a tunnel where I keep their food when they are eating outside because I feel like they might be paying so much attention to eating and not what’s overhead.

That’s sad I always hope my favorites don’t get taken, so far I have not lost anyone.
I thought I deleted the part about losing my favorites. Decided it was too sad to say out loud. But really Shirl was such a sweet soul. And Ethel, who is wounded but alive, is the one my first rooster nearly killed. He took off the back of her head, literally. It grew back, but there is a dent where feathers don't grow. She is another sweet bird. I'm watching her closely, but I think she'll be okay. Thanks for your empathy.

Penny, we are practically neighbors, although I'm on the other side of the river. The net is 50" x 50", so I'm guessing you don't toss it over the tree just attach it between trees, right? I don't think that would even cover one of the trees, so tying it off to branches or setting up poles to attach it to?

I attached it to upper limbs not over the trees but I can walk under it okay just 5 ft

You know what's really sad? The chicken I lost and the wounded chicken are both from my first girls. They are 4 years old and rarely lay eggs, but they are my favorites. Shirl was

Well, if they are on top of it, the eagle will get them. For this reason we really have to think through the tunnel ideas. It's all so complicated, isn't it?
I just wanted to say that I’m sorry that you lost your precious girls! They really work their way into your heart!:hugs

Back
Top Bottom