Bald eagles & hawks EVERYWHERE!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NJbirdlover, Dec 3, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    This is the first fall (as in the season) as a chicken owner and I don't think I have ever seen this many red tailed hawks and especially bald eagles around![​IMG] My flock doesn't free range unless I am out with them and their coop is sealed and has a covering on top so I know they are ok. Is this just a coincidence or are they here for a free meal?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Perhaps you have never noticed as many before as you weren't protecting poultry??? I never realized we had bald eagles passing through until I had chickens [​IMG] Now I run outside everytime I hear one...only if the big door is open and the storm door is closed. I also have turkeys so I have heard they are pretty much safe due to large birds on the ground. So far it has worked for me since mine free range mostly.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It could be the season. When the leaves fall, the predators loose their treetop cover, perhaps you're just actually seeing them more and not that there are more of them?

Either way, just be wary. Even if you are working in the yard and your chickens are ranging elsewhere, many raptors can be very bold in the taking of prey. Not trying to scare you, just know when you let them out to freerange, it is a possibility that one may be taken.

Crows and purple martins are good raptor deterrents. Both will mob and run hawks and eagles away. Crows stay year round while the martins migrate. So if you are really worried about it, feed the crows and just forget the martins. Martins will also run crows off, so it's best to pick one of the other. [​IMG]

4. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens aren't really birds, you know. Scientists have recently discovered that they're actually feather-covered truffles. EVERYBODY loves them to death.

5. I see them all over the place, even vultures. Im not sure what kind of eagles are the ones I been seeing but they are not bald eagles. Im kinda thinking that it is a good thing I dont have chickens right now....

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Isn't that the truth!

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    We have some Bald Eagles & Red Tailed Hawks around here. A hawk did try and get one of my chickens but the chicken it tried to pick up was too big. She had some cuts and was bleeding and died of shock. But that hawk didn¬ít get it. I must say there is nothing like watching a Bald Eagle sore over top of your head. The hawks I could live without but I love watching the Eagles. [​IMG]

9. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    We had one of our big buff orpie girls be stolen right out of our back yard at lunchtime!!! Even with my Hubby hollaring and freaking out on the hawk he refused to drop her and just sat up perched high in a tree with her in his grip and then eventually flew off! He was arrogant and nasty! Ever since then we put our chickens in the side yard which has alot more trees for protection and they will spend most of the day in the woods or under the trees but if by chance they are out grazing and a shadow of a hawk flies over they all make a quick run for the trees for protection! I just read on here that there is actually a game breed that they used to use specificly for fighting roosters and if you have one of them roos they will fend off any predators and keep your flock safe and sound!!! Amazing! They are supposed to be great with people not agggressive. Anyway, sorry I can't remember the exact name but I'm sure someone on here will know what I'm talking about. If I didn't have four roos already I would totally get one of these guys for my own peace of mind! Blessings, Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by