Bald Hen, Winter is Coming

Mariahthebright

Chirping
Jan 27, 2018
Central Illinois, USA
I have a chicken that recovered from a head injury, I dont think feathers will ever grow back on her head.

I live in central Illinois, it gets pretty cold. Is there anything I can/should do for her? I can make her little hats, but not sure if they would stay on or really work

Thanks in advance for any input!

Post a picture of her head, how long ago was the injury? What was the cause?
Watch for pin feathers, they may grow back. Feeding her higher protein feed may help. Not sure about the hats, keeping them on & keeping others from pecking at them/her because of it. Hang in there, others will peep in with their thoughts ...

I have a chicken who survived all last winter....naked!! She had some feathers on her stomach and wings and that’s it. I did put a saddle on her until she snagged it and hurt herself. If it’s just a bare head you could put a thin coat of Vaseline to help with chapping as long as she has a dry draft free place to sleep she should be just fine.

Post a picture of her head, how long ago was the injury? What was the cause?
Watch for pin feathers, they may grow back. Feeding her higher protein feed may help. Not sure about the hats, keeping them on & keeping others from pecking at them/her because of it. Hang in there, others will peep in with their thoughts ...

Not 100%, might have been my roo or a predator. Heres her head now. Waiting for her scab to completely heal before adding her back to the flock 20181127_192921.jpg

I have a chicken who survived all last winter....naked!! She had some feathers on her stomach and wings and that’s it. I did put a saddle on her until she snagged it and hurt herself. If it’s just a bare head you could put a thin coat of Vaseline to help with chapping as long as she has a dry draft free place to sleep she should be just fine.

I knew they were resilient, but I dont think I give them enough credit! I do have a nice dry hen house that is draft free, so she will probably be alright then!

You did a great job healing it. She should be fine, don't see any pin feathering, you may be right about the feathers not growing back. Prior to integrating her back into the flock, I'd spray Blu Kote or kinda camouflage the skin, then put some vaseline on to keep it from frost bite & sun screen during the summer.

You did a great job healing it. She should be fine, don't see any pin feathering, you may be right about the feathers not growing back. Prior to integrating her back into the flock, I'd spray Blu Kote or kinda camouflage the skin, then put some vaseline on to keep it from frost bite & sun screen during the summer.
Thanks! Wish I could take credit, she did it all herself almost ;) I'll definitely Vaseline it. I appreciate the advice

Back
Top Bottom