Bald, irritated patches

ceedublu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
This is our first spring with a drake and females. I noticed today that all four of our females have significant bald, irritated patches of skin on their backs, beneath their wings. My first thought is that they're a result of aggressive mating, especially because the Swedish Blue, who is the worst affected, seems to be the drake's preferred partner (she also seems like she's lost a little weight, and may have a mild case of wet feather...?)

I've most often heard of females developing bald spots on the backs of their heads and their necks from mating, but not their backs. I'm alarmed by the look of this, and I'm wondering if it's potentially something else, maybe parasite or a skin condition of some type.

I've applied Vetrimycin to the affected areas, and I'm isolating the male. If aggressive mating is the cause, is there anything else I can give these girls to help them heal up, other than good food and clean water?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer. These forums are such a great thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 10
I'll also add that the Swedish Blue has been isolating herself from the group for the past week or two; I assumed it was because she was being mounted too often. She still has a good appetite, but lately, she seems to be spending more time grooming and less time foraging than the others.

When drakes mount a female, they lay most of their weight on the duck's back, and often their sharp claws will do extensive damage to the feathers and superficial tissue. Balding of the head region can also occur but does not always occur in conjunction with the bald back. The best line of treatment would focus on figuring out your drake, and how you can reduce the amount fo mating going on.

When drakes mount a female, they lay most of their weight on the duck's back, and often their sharp claws will do extensive damage to the feathers and superficial tissue. Balding of the head region can also occur but does not always occur in conjunction with the bald back. The best line of treatment would focus on figuring out your drake, and how you can reduce the amount fo mating going on.
Thank you! I've isolated the drake to give them all a chance to heal up, so we'll see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom