15WildTurkey

Songster
6 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Carmel Ny
2B222387-A8E9-4CD8-8790-A0A19D9E34F4.jpeg
74DF7C8B-745E-4071-B86E-35DC1BFEF1C6.jpeg
BDBCD120-456C-4D46-8E19-FDCDDCFF22A5.jpeg
I had 3 Pekin ducklings hatch yesterday. My first ducks and first hatch. I had one Guinea hatch. All my other Guineas quit on me :(.
Here’s my question, my second to hatch has a bald patch on her head and a bald neck. There’s no trauma and it was clearly obvious as she made her way out of the shell. Is it indicative of an underlying issue or nothing to worry about. They are all active and lively as can be. Drinking electrolyte water. Chowing down on good food.
Will Greta grow into it or will she need a hair piece?
I think my bigger issue will be poor little Carmine the lone Guinea hen. I have 18 chickens too but I don’t think anyone speaks his language. Hopefully in a couple weeks I can get a few more keets. But he will be alone for now:hmm

Stuck to the egg, is my guess. I had one with a bare patch on her back. Probably the humidity was too low. Mine came from under a broody and took a full 48 hours to hatch after pipping, poor thing.

It’s funny, I assisted the other two ducklings. Sprout was the first and it took almost 36 hours from pip to duckling. Greta pipped zipped and out in under 10 minutes. I got to watch the whole thing start to finish. She pipped and immediately started zipping as Sprout was hatching next to her. I think the sounds from sprout definitely spurred her on. So maybe she was stuck to the shell earlier in the incubation time but certainly not at hatch.

I agree, my khaki had a bald patch for a while, I thought it was from the others nibbling at it, my ducks were baby bullies. It grew though and feathers came in just fine. Still bullies to the chickens though.

Back
Top Bottom