Bald spot and loss of feathers

Millerland

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
I have an almost two year old ISA brown hen who all of a sudden has a bald spot on her neck. I checked for lice and mites and thankfully there were none. I cleaned out the entire coop just to be on the safe side. She’s acting normal, regular poops, and seems to be eating and drinking fine. It seems like her feathers are growing back but I’m concerned there might be some underlying issues. I’m in Denver, CO and we have quite extreme weather shifts from days in the 50’s to sudden snow storms so wondering if it could be her molting…I’m stumped! There’s two other hens in the flock and neither of them are showing molting symptoms. Any ideas or resources are appreciated! Also, a picture is attached, she wouldn’t hold still so it’s not the best…

Attachments

• 1EDF2CDE-FDC2-494B-B1BC-C72CF1545F1F.jpeg
    1EDF2CDE-FDC2-494B-B1BC-C72CF1545F1F.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 819C9FD5-F898-4419-AAF9-06E4D64BA98D.jpeg
    819C9FD5-F898-4419-AAF9-06E4D64BA98D.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 24
if looks like she's molting! The other hens could be pecking her too.if she's acting fine I bet she's going to be fine!!
It could be molting, she's right about 18 months! Is it normal for hens to molt in the winter? And/or, if the other hens are picking on her any tips to get them to stop?

It could be molting, she's right about 18 months! Is it normal for hens to molt in the winter? And/or, if the other hens are picking on her any tips to get them to stop?
if they don't have enough space them that could be why they are pecking, how much space so they have? Do you know what space on the pecking order she is on? If she is lowest in the pecking order than most likely she is getting pecked. I just looked back at the picture of her it looks like she is being picked on.

Hmmm...We did just lose a chicken so it could be they were re-establishing the pecking order. Is that even a thing? Today was the best she's looked so hopefully its nothing and she'll continue to be on the up and up.

Back
Top Bottom