Bald spot on duck's neck?

amandawelsh

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
NH
My almost one year old welsh harlequin duck has a big bald spot on the back of his neck. It's about the size of a golf ball! I've noticed that one duck always attacks and bites the back of the other ones neck. I've read that this is a form of mating, but they're both boys? Help!!!:/

jh7192

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Taneytown MD
Amanda: yes,this is a result of mating and dominance. Homosexuality in birds is not uncommon. When I worked at the zoo, it was common at this time of year. Either separate the drakes or give them each about 10 hens.
jh7192

duckfanatic01

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
Can I get an update on this? What happened to your duck? I am in the exact same situation right now and I need more info please.

duckfanatic01

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
I'm worried because this duck was in a little accident as a duckling (he almost drowned) and the last case like that that I read about, the duck died. But other people say to not worry about it. I would like to know how your duck turned out and I'll be praying for my duck if y'all could do that as well. Thanks!

duckfanatic01

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
I'm separating them for the night. They don't like that, but I hope they'll live. They were 1 year old last week, so about the same age your welsh harlequin was. How long should I separate them? I'm a little worried for them.

Top Bottom