Bald spot on hens back

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
So the 4 girls I picked up this week (10 months old), one came with a bald spot on her back. I am guessing she is being picked on? Today I saw a different hen pick a feather off another hens back (not the one with the bald spot). Can I keep them from picked each others feathers out? Why do they do this?

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Picking is something that can have a lot of root causes - it can also be a hard habit to break. Were they with a rooster at their previous home? Were they housed in a closed up, maybe crowded, sort of unit or were they free ranging? What were and are they being fed? Picked spots invite picking - similar to how a small injury can draw attention and further pecking until a tiny wound is a large, serious wound or dead bird.
For the short term, a good way to protect the exposed area to allow for regrowth and prevent sunburn is a "hen saddle" - it will cover the exposed area. They are readily available for purchase online from many outlets or you can even find DIY instructions for making your own.

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
I am not sure they had a rooster in with them before. I am assuming they did. She said they were hatching a lot of eggs in incubators. They had a lot of chickens running around too! These girls were in a pen together. I did not see them, they pulled them out and put them in my tote in my car. I did not see them till I got home. That was when I saw one was totally bald on her back :( I figured it would grow back but then I saw a different hen peck another one on the back so I thought they were doing it to each other. They were in a pen that was maybe 12x20 with 50 hens. Hopefully they will stop. I will go buy a hen saddle to protect the bald one.

Top Bottom