Bald Spots in NY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by labpac4, Feb 28, 2012.

1. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Hi There
    Hope someone knows what's going on with my 1 1/2 year old flock....in the fall during their first molt, I noticed by Barred Rock was missing a patch of feathers toward her backside; the skin was quite inflamed. At first I thought it had to do with the molt.But as a precaution, I also treated all of them for mites. Well, the molt passed and she still has her bald spot. AND...Today I noticed my Buff Orp has a similar spot and inflammation.

Does anyone know what this could be and what I should do to treat it? Doesn't seem to be bothering them; they are eating and laying normally. But, I know this isn't right and it looks painful. Hope someone knows. Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is probably from another hen pulling feathers. If you can, take some time just to sit and watch "chicken TV" LOL. You might just see the hen that's doing the feather pulling. I had this happen once towards the end of a long winter. I think it's from boredom. I know my flock was cooped up alot more than they're used to due to winter weather.

When I saw it happen, the bully hen would go up behind the unknowing hen, eyeball it's back, just above the tail, and WHAM! Pull out a feather. In my case, I decided my coop had a few hens too many, so I gave the agressive hen and a few others to a farmer friend who had much more room. In my flock every single chicken had a bald spot on their back, just above the tail....It would start small and then get bigger! I had no parasites at all on the girls.

I have a feeling that's what's probably happening with your hens......Just watch and you'll see!

Good luck and let me know how things turn out,
    Sharon

3. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Hum....never thought of that. They have actually been cooped up more because they don't like to go out when there is snow. Could be boredom. Did your chicken have really pink skin?

4. LooneyGoonie

LooneyGoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    I had the same thing happen with 3 of my hens. I knew someone was pecking them. I have a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys, and guineas. I thought it was the turkeys, but it was the guineas. Once I separated them, their feathers began growing back.

5. silenasunshine

silenasunshine New Egg

Sep 6, 2011
    Yup! Same problem here. One bored cranky hen is pulling feathers out of the others. It started with winter.
    I have saddles on two of them and i''ve just started trying some no pick lotion to see how that works.
    The saddles seem to do a decent job of protecting the picked spots and giving new feathers a chance to grow.
    You can buy them here: http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/products/Hen-SaverĀ®-Hen-Apron-{47}-Saddle.html

Clarice wearing her saddle.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by