balding cornish rock, help

cjsarv

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
My husband & I are some what new to raising chickens. This is our second year with cornish rocks. We bought 50 chicks last week and as we were putting them in their new home we noticed that one had a bald butt. We kept an eye on him and he seems to be acting just fine. The other chicks are not pecking at him or seem to even notice him. They are now a week old and he is balding more and more, its starting to go up his stomach. Anyone else ever have this problem or know what it might be?

My husband & I are some what new to raising chickens. This is our second year with cornish rocks. We bought 50 chicks last week and as we were putting them in their new home we noticed that one had a bald butt. We kept an eye on him and he seems to be acting just fine. The other chicks are not pecking at him or seem to even notice him. They are now a week old and he is balding more and more, its starting to go up his stomach. Anyone else ever have this problem or know what it might be?

Cornish X can grow so fast that they outgrow their clothes, so to speak. As long as it is healthy and eating, don't worry. They have no problem with public nudity. I raise 5 this year, and every one of them had a strip of naked skin down the middle of the breast.

Are you noticing the same thing on some of the others, or is this one really unusual? It could be just a normal outgrowing of feathers like the previous poster said.

Although, we have had some that are totally bald under the vent area -- much more so than the others. We've noticed two results: 2 that were like that seemed to always have problems and be weak and almost blue (heart, maybe?). The other 1 or 2 with it seemed fine and we eventually lost track of them in the group.

Back
Top Bottom