Bale of Alfalfa for the Run ???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iwiw60, Aug 28, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I've been toying with the idea of putting a small bale of alfalfa in the chicken run in a few weeks to give the girls something to do plus getting some nutrients from the alfalfa. When I went to the feed store the price for a single bale was $14.00 and I asked if they had 'half-bales' possibly. The girl says "no, but we have alfalfa/grass bales at $11.00. I told her I was just pricing and went home.

[​IMG]

Thinking about it I got to wondering if the grass content might not be detrimental simply for the fact that the "strands" will be quite long and I know chickens (especially mine!) can be little piggies and worry about an impacted crop down the road. Has anyone bought the alfalfa/grass bales and if so is the grass content in 'long cuts' ?? I just don't want to spend the money, get it home, lug it into the coop, and end up with a sick chicken down the road.

Anyone???

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    My chickens like the hay to sleep in, and just play with, they don't really eat it.

I just use timothy hay (the leftover hay from my rabbits' bale), and I give them a few flakes at a time.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I keep horses, and pretty much always have grass hay. When we bring a load home, the chickens are usually all over it before we can get it unloaded. I use the loose hay from the barn floor for bedding in nest boxes, or just toss it in the coop as part of the deep litter. I've never had a problem with an impacted crop. The alfalfa has a higher protein content, but the grass will do just as well for entertaining them.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks for the reply...now it's just a matter of me being the OCD person I am and deciding whether to spend $14 or $11!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by