Balloon egg

I saw on your other post you were worried about not having a farm vet. You can call your regular vet. Almost all vets work on avian creatures of some sort. You can let them know that you keep these chickens as pets, not as livestock. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction, even if they are not a poultry vet. They can also definitely do a fecal float for you so you can rule out parasites. If it is lash eggs, I believe there is nothing you can do for that. Your vet can also help you out with end of life options if that is what you decide to do, rather than letting her be sick. It sounds hard for you and for her. Your state should have an office you can all that can help you with an agricultural vet. Just look up your department of agriculture.
Good luck.

Last edited:
It appears that your hen has a two for one health problem. I looks like she is laying both lash eggs and soft shelled eggs.
~ from what I read....this is a soft shelled egg. It blogs Ive read, states that lash-eggs are a waxy, harder type of egg and usually solid, filled with thick matter. This was just a soft egg, filled with a yolk. But she has done this off and all Summer, and has also laid big beautiful eggs. But I do believe she has two issues going on. I ordered the ACS and will see if that helps with the crop issue. She isn't well, and the ACS fails, I am afraid she will have to be put down humanely.

Back
Top Bottom