First eggs, but no oyster shells

Amazonlover

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2013
Maryland
Hi All,

My EE laid her first eggs (one yesterday and one today) and I found them in a corner this evening. I had not been giving any of my girls oyster shells or laying feed because none of them have been laying. Now that Agatha is laying, I will try to feed her some oyster shell tomorrow morning but am going out of town on Thursday for four days and am concerned that her not having oyster shells for that time period will be detrimental to her health. I don’t want to leave oyster shell out because none of the other girls are laying and I don’t want their health to be impacted by eating oyster shell too soon. Does anyone know if my EE goes without oyster shell for four days if it could hurt her health?

Birds have enough calcium reserves to last them many pullet eggs. I wouldn't be worried about leaving oyster shell out with your other non-laying girls, however. Chickens take what they need. It is likely that it won't be touched by those who don't need it, or slightly nibbled, since they're getting close to laying themselves. Either way, it will not be detrimental to their health

Last edited:
I don’t want to leave oyster shell out because none of the other girls are laying and I don’t want their health to be impacted by eating oyster shell too soon.
It won't hurt them.

Does anyone know if my EE goes without oyster shell for four days if it could hurt her health?
Probaably not, what kind of feed are you giving?

Birds have enough calcium reserves to last them many pullet eggs. I wouldn't be worried about leaving oyster she'll out with your other non-laying girls, however. Chickens take what they need. It is likely that it won't be touched by those who don't need it, or slightly nibbled, since they're getting close to laying themselves. Either way, it will not be detrimental to their health
Thank you!

Depending on the age of the other hens leaving oyster shell out should not affect them adversely if they're close to laying age. If you had chicks, you could just put the shell out in a higher spot. But four days should not make a drastic difference either if they go without.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom