Banding birds

I use zip ties on my chickens, different colors to help me differentiate one chicken from the rest for whatever reason. They're cheap, and I 've never had one fall off or cause any problems.

I have numbered zip ties for the bigger birds. I need a band that is numbered for NPIPthat will fit on pheasants. They have really thin legs so i cant get the zip ties tight enough to still read the number.

Try Cutler Supply. They have several different leg bands. I use the butt end aluminum leg bands. They come consecutively numbered and each size takes it's own size applicator (applicators sold seperately)but i got around that by modifiying several sets of gas pliers (cheaper than the applicators). Also, if needed, I can engrave a symbol, letter or additional number on the band. Works better for me than the plastic types. eBay also has several sellers that have leg bands and peeps. HTH

Last edited:
There are alluminum bands out there that you can get on with a pliers that work great. I would not use zip ties as they can tighten themselves and cut off circulation to a birds leg. Even the bades that are adustable can do this. If you can get numbered bands so much the better since it will allow you to distinguish individual birds and keep track of breeding more easily.

Back
Top Bottom