1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banding birds

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by lingle97, Feb 16, 2017.

1. lingle97

lingle97 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Monticello Florida
    I am wanting to start banding my flock. The issue I am having is finding good bands for adult ornamental pheasants. What do you use and where do you get them?

2. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I use zip ties on my chickens, different colors to help me differentiate one chicken from the rest for whatever reason. They're cheap, and I 've never had one fall off or cause any problems.

3. lingle97

lingle97 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Monticello Florida
    I have numbered zip ties for the bigger birds. I need a band that is numbered for NPIPthat will fit on pheasants. They have really thin legs so i cant get the zip ties tight enough to still read the number.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Try Cutler Supply. They have several different leg bands. I use the butt end aluminum leg bands. They come consecutively numbered and each size takes it's own size applicator (applicators sold seperately)but i got around that by modifiying several sets of gas pliers (cheaper than the applicators). Also, if needed, I can engrave a symbol, letter or additional number on the band. Works better for me than the plastic types. eBay also has several sellers that have leg bands and peeps. HTH

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I use mini zip ties they work perfect and go tight enough to stay on, you can also wright in marker whatever needs to be marked.

6. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    There are alluminum bands out there that you can get on with a pliers that work great. I would not use zip ties as they can tighten themselves and cut off circulation to a birds leg. Even the bades that are adustable can do this. If you can get numbered bands so much the better since it will allow you to distinguish individual birds and keep track of breeding more easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by