Bantam and Standard mixing in very small flock

joe_p

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Louisville, KY.
I am setting up to get chickens for the first time. I live in a city with a very small back yard so I am keeping the flock very small to make sure they have plenty of room to be happy. I am planning to get 3 or 4 chickens and my girl friend is pretty adamant that one of them has to be a bantam. We are concerned that the bantam will be picked on by the other chickens, most likely an EE and a Wyandotte. I have seen plenty of people on BYC that mix there Bantams and Standards but I just wanted to be reaffirmed that they would be ok in such a small flock.

TL;DR
Is it ok to have a flock of 4:
EE
Wyandotte
Silky
possible Cochin Bantam

I can't see a problem with it. But if you are limited on space, why don't you just order only bantams? They come in pretty much every variety and color you can imagine.

I mix bantams and large fowl in my small flock without any problems. They will especially do well if all are bought at the same age and raised together.

Thanks for the replys.

I offered her to go with all bantams if she wanted but she said she did not want to have all small eggs. I think it is still an option.

Well I have both right now. I have in the past also. It can happen. But really the small eggs are just as good as the big ones; just need more of them is all. I like the bantam eggs for pickling. I just have to be real careful peeling them. Only problem with fresh eggs is boiling them.

I have a small backyard flock of three girls-- a standard barred rock, a standard blue orphington, and a bantam ameracuna. I got all three at the same time when they were 8 weeks old (at a BYC chickenstock). They get along great and the bantam is not picked on at all. The bantam and the orphington are especially close and the bantam sleeps on top of the orphington rather than on the roost. I think if you get them at the same time and the same age you won't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom