Bantam Araucana colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ame, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    Hi, I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, I do know what breed and sex these guys are, but am curious what colors they are, and what colors I might see if I decide to hatch some eggs next spring:D.

I understand that these are not correct banty Araucanas, but they are pretty cute to watch around the yard!

Tuftless hen #1
    [​IMG]

Tuftless hen #2
    [​IMG]

Rooster ( I am posting multiple pics of him because his color is more complicated)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly all three
    [​IMG]

Thank you for bearing with me LOL

Amie

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So nice to see more people with real Araucanas. [​IMG]

The first one is a Silver Duckwing.

The second is a blue with red leakage. (more precisely, it looks to be a gold duckwing with a LOT of blue in it)

The third has some duckwing in him, although it looks like he's got both silver and gold alleles, and he's got something else in there too, not sure what. It's almost like he's got one Columbian allele, seeing as his chest is getting very white with some nice black/white patterning.

See here, this guy of mine has a weird color too, but I've figured it down to him being a golden (both silver and gold alleles) duckwing with blue and columbian alleles, which switches the coloring around. (instead of gold hackles, blue chest - it's blue chest, gold hackles)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    Wow, what an pretty boy!
    I saw these at an sale I was at, and just could not help myself. I needed an new rooster for my mutt flock, and I Thought flash was just soo cute. I am thinking about hatching some eggs next spring, sounds like it might be interesting to see what colors I get LOL.

Amie

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You will likely get mostly duckwing chicks with those three. I have a blue hen with brown leakage like yours and she throws duckwings and blues. I really like your rooster.

Lanae

5. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    Thank you!
    Flash is kind of neat to watch. He talks more than any other rooster I have ever had. Not just crowing, but an whole symphony of chuckles and little guttural growly noises. Lots of personality.
    I am liking this breed, perhaps in the future I will buy an standard and an few show quality birds?

Amie

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I have one Roo Boy that is really spotted and funny looking. It kinda matches his personality [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's almost as if he blends right into the fall backround!!

7. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    OOH, he is pretty, an Camo Araucana!

Amie

8. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:LOL
    Good way to put it!! Do you want em?? He's an interesting one always getting into trouble! I should have called him Trouble for his name!!

9. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    [​IMG][​IMG] He would fit right in, I have american shetlands, and my mom raises miniture horses [​IMG] we love quirky personality's
    However you are in Connecticut and I am in California. sigh.

Amie

10. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    What colors are accepted APA and ABA varieties?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by