Bantam Austrolop not well

jnlo3000

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Well, as I continue to expand my flock and learn new things, we have encountered our first un-well chicken. We have a young Bantam Austrolop who I found in a nest box this morning not moving around real well. She just kind of half stands and half sits in the box. I took her out to see if she would walk and she does, but very gingerly. I spread her wings out and she tucks them back, but not very quickly. Her legs seem to be ok and wings seem to be ok as well. Not sure if she is laying yet, so I don't know if she could be egg bound or not. I checked her vent area and it looks ok except that she has had some runny poo, indicated by the mess on her feathers. Otherwise her vent looks good. She is a new member of the flock and her nest mate seems to be fine.
I read to check her belly and everything seems ok I think but again I am SOOO new at this! Her crop is a bit squishy this morning, but I don't check each day so I have nothing to compare it with.
Anyhow, any guidance is appreciated.

Adding new chickens to an established flock is like waiting for an accident to happen. Not good. I don't know if she's young enough to have coccidiosis (usually less than 4 months).

To check for egg bound you have to oil a finger and do an internal. How skinny is she? What color poo? Heat stress? Worms or mites or lice? If these check out okay, how bout her breathing? If that's okay, I usually reach for the Penicillin injectable or Sulfadimethoxine (di meth, or Albon) in the water

Late yesterday she finally came out and was eating and drinking and walking much better. Will keep an eye on her. Today she looks even better. Maybe she just woke up on the wrong side of the roost?!? Lol

Well definitely something is going on. Seems like one minute she is fine and the next she is not. One of her eyes is closed and a little goopy. She does open it occasionally. She also seems a little off balance. But she did go out and mingle and eat so hard to say.

I would def. bring her in the house for a few days. She may be overheated, and give her water with electrolytes if you can. Pedialyte is supposed to be okay too.

I found her this morning barely breathing and Both eyes were closed and runny. Very sad. Unfortunately she did not make it. I. just hope it isn't something that will spread.

Back
Top Bottom