Bantam Barnevelder? Help us figure out!

CluckenMomma

Chirping
Jan 13, 2023
We got our barnevelder 9 1/2 weeks ago, we thought she was the standard size and while she was growing we noticed she stayed much smaller than all the other chicks that were the same age as her. Fast forward to today she is this size. Shes been this size for almost 3 weeks!
97500BA5-CDA0-45C1-8627-8E6198C9AF41.jpeg

She’s only a bit bigger than a toilet paper roll and the toilet paper roll is heavier than her. Nobody picks on her besides one we think is a cockerel.

One other thing we noticed is that shes always puffed out and her feet are on the cooler side. Anybody know why its happening? is it because shes cold because of how small she is?

Looks like she is a failure to thrive chick. She is not feeling very well either. How long has she been puffed up like that? What does her poop look? How does her crop feel? Any signs of mites/li
Shes been puffed up like this for almost 3 weeks, Cant find any poop right now, her crop is empty right now and she dosent have any mites or lice.. Should we separate her from the other birds? is it Mareks disease?

Shes been puffed up like this for almost 3 weeks, Cant find any poop right now, her crop is empty right now and she dosent have any mites or lice.. Should we separate her from the other birds? is it Mareks disease?
Mareks's is not likely to be the case in this instance. She's a failure to thrive chick, which means her growth was stunted. It could have been caused by any number of things, but that won't change anything now. Some are able to survive, and others are not. I would try to give her some scrambled eggs and Nutri-Drench and see if that does anything to perk her up. Separate her from the others so she isn't bullied and so you can see if she poops.

Not likely Mareks. She's a failure to thrive chick, which means her growth was stunted. It could have been caused by any number of things, but that won't change anything now. Some are able to survive and others not. I would try and give her some scrambled eggs and Nutri-Drench and see if that does anything to perk her up. Separate her from the others so she isn't bullied and so you can see if she poops.
we separated her, where can we get Nutri-Drench at? We have chick-stick, will that do anything for her? and should we give her electrolyte water?

We got our barnevelder 9 1/2 weeks ago, we thought she was the standard size and while she was growing we noticed she stayed much smaller than all the other chicks that were the same age as her. Fast forward to today she is this size. Shes been this size for almost 3 weeks!
View attachment 3440244

She’s only a bit bigger than a toilet paper roll and the toilet paper roll is heavier than her. Nobody picks on her besides one we think is a cockerel.

One other thing we noticed is that shes always puffed out and her feet are on the cooler side. Anybody know why its happening? is it because shes cold because of how small she is?
If she's been all puffed up for three weeks, something's definetly wrong. If she does poop, tell us what it looks like imediately. I hatched a bantam cockerel last year who was unnaturally light and his crop stopped filling up once he was three months old. He was always hungry, and one day he got so weak that he couldn't walk and passed away that day. 😔
What's wrong your girl is most likely something from birth, i'm afraid.

I'm no expert, but @speckledhen may be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom