Bantam Barnevelder? Help us figure out!

This does not sound like the best diet for young birds. What's the brand? Can you post photos of the nutritional information on the labels?
We give the feed to them everyday, refilled if its empty and we don't give the larvae to them everyday. The brand of feed is Scratch And Peck.
C1F51079-8B4D-4E2C-B3B5-2E6549F7C6B5.jpeg
7922E002-C476-4B79-884A-9D4AB2EE0FCF.jpeg
DA37546D-CAD7-4087-BFC1-C83DC3117064.jpeg

I've never offered whole grains to chicks. I'll let some others chime in. You might consider getting her something she can digest easier.
I have to agree that the food pictured as grains is not appropriate for chicks as their main feed. Crumble is what they need and can digest well. Softer feeds when they are ill like scrambled eggs, even a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt for probiotics mixed into some chick starter is appropriate. Is that even labeled as chick feed? We don't have Scratch and Peck in my area so I don't know how good that stuff is, never saw it before though I've heard the name, but raw grains are not right for chicks as their main feed. If that is her food, she is not getting proper nutrition, I'm afraid to tell you, just my humble opinion. She needs chick starter crumble, just plain old crumble of at least 18-22%. If you just get a small bag of chick starter and get her eating soon, take away the raw grains, maybe you can save her, but her growth could be stunted if the food is the cause. Maybe it isn't, maybe there is an internal issue with these Barnvelders, but it's worth trying. Hoping the best for that little gal.

Last edited:
I noticed that it seems to be saying on the packet that you can also feed it to ducks, sheep, goats, and pigs.
I always distrust feed that says it is for all animals, because there is no way they all have the same nutritional requirements.

Is that even labeled as chick feed? We don't have Scratch and Peck in my area so I don't know how good that stuff is, never saw it before though I've heard the name, but raw grains are not right for chicks as their main feed.
Scratch and Peck is a brand.
When I look at their website, they offer several different kinds of food, including one labeled as chick food.

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/naturally-free-starter/

The chick starter description says it includes "cracked whole grains" along with other ingredients. The nutrition information says it has 20% protein. The photos show it as having many small pieces and no really big ones.

So if the OP has the same food I was just looking at, it is probably acceptable.

I don't think it matters whether the grains are "raw," just whether they are ground finely enough for the chicks to eat and digest-- ground by a mill, or small enough for chicks to swallow and then ground further by grit in the chicks' gizzards.

Is the feed ground and offered as a crumble, or am I reading that right, and it's raw grain?

The chicks need grit in order to properly digest this feed.
Is that a photo of Scratch & Peck chick food specifically, or is that just a generic example of whole grain food?

I know it's a brand, but the chick is obviously ailing and it may not be digesting the grains in that feed well. It's worth changing it up in case that's the reason the chick is not thriving. It's not worth holding to something that is not working if you're trying to save a chick that is dying. And sadly, that's what I see in the photo. That's what I was trying to get across. As I said, it may not be the feed, but just in case, you're treating a sick bird and grains are not as easy to digest as crumble.

And sadly, that's what I see in the photo.
Are you looking at the photo posted in this thread by @ColtHandorf ?
Or at the photo posted by the OP, that shows the bag but not the actual food?
Or at the photo on the manufacturer's website?

I don't think we have any actual photos of the feed the chick is really being given, so we're just guessing from a combination of other sources.

I know it's a brand, but the chick is obviously ailing and it may not be digesting the grains in that feed well. It's worth changing it up in case that's the reason the chick is not thriving. It's not worth holding to something that is not working if you're trying to save a chick that is dying.
Yes, buying a bag of some crumble chick starter might be a good thing to try. (A different brand if that brand doesn't offer any crumble.)

I looked at the bag the OP posted before I looked at Colt's picture. I couldn't tell much by the feed bag, which is why I was asking more questions.
Adding that I just looked more closely at the back of the bag and not really happy with some of what it says there. Won't elaborate because when I do, apparently pitchforks and flaming torches come out. :hmm Whole grains are something that can be difficult to digest for any ailing bird. It's the first thing that goes when I have a bird that develops any crop issue, on the advice of a PhD in poultry science.

Back
Top Bottom