Bantam breed confusion w/ feathered legs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tuthillny, Apr 7, 2011.

1. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    Hi, I know nothing about bantams. Someone gave me 3 and I had no problem with the silkie or the silver sebright (even though it has a single comb - that's ok)
    But this one confuses me. He was white every where. White feathers coming in on the wings and feathered legs. I thought I would be able to get it but no - he
    had to start growing reddish feathers on his wings, the back of his neck, and the front of his chest not to mention the comb. That's ok - I like roosters.
    The photos where taken yesterday also he is 4 weeks old today. Thank you. Also, no beard and he is very slender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    The red coloring on the wings looks similar to a golden comet male I had but the red on the breast wasn't there.

3. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    Thanks for the reply. This chick very small but a little taller than the sebright. Does anyone have other suggestions?

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    It is way too small to be a golden comet or any other standard size chicken. I have a golden comet and a red star who are 3 weeks old and they are a good 3 times the size of that chick. Just wanted to point that out, I have no idea. But it's definitely a bantam. [​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Golden Comet's are simply sex links. You can make bantam sex links as well by mixing the correct colors. Your little bantie looks like a sex link roo. There is a really good discussion on sex links on this board somewhere, maybe "Genetics" which tells you which breeds of roos you can use over which breeds of hens to get sex links. He's very cute though.

6. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Red Pyle (Old English Game Bantam)? Just a guess, I don't have any of those!

7. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    Thank you. I do know that sex links can come in all sizes. I am 99.9 sure he is not one. Also, I did consider the red pyle oegb except for the feathered legs. That is what confuses me. Anyone else?

8. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    golden neck d'uccle?

9. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    I did consider d'uccle but everything I read said they have a beard. Is that right? Thanks.

10. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by