Bantam breed?

Well they made it through the night! Still under her🥰 any suggestions now? I feel like I should move her and the babies and make a nest on the ground in the coop? I left four eggs under her last night, so maybe she would still feel like she needed to sit. So the babies wouldn’t be abandoned..

Well they made it through the night! Still under her🥰 any suggestions now? I feel like I should move her and the babies and make a nest on the ground in the coop? I left four eggs under her last night, so maybe she would still feel like she needed to sit. So the babies wouldn’t be abandoned..
The chicks will need food and water, so yes, move them to the ground. If the hen stays sitting, put food and water nearby and make sure the chicks eat and drink. It's really important. Once she's up and about, and the chicks are following her, you should be home free.

The chicks will need food and water, so yes, move them to the ground. If the hen stays sitting, put food and water nearby and make sure the chicks eat and drink. It's really important. Once she's up and about, and the chicks are following her, you should be home free.
Well guess who is a happy momma! I’m so proud of Dezz!!! She is “happy mommy clucking”. I don’t have a cage or anything to put them in. I read you should put them in a cage in the bottom of the coop. Would putting the shavings and the babies and eggs, and her of course, at the bottom in a corner be sufficient enough. And when should I transition them.

Attachments

• E4679E7C-D2FF-4361-B59F-799E666680E4.jpeg
    E4679E7C-D2FF-4361-B59F-799E666680E4.jpeg
    780.4 KB · Views: 7
  • BA0953C4-BFC3-49D4-BE76-E2130940F415.jpeg
    BA0953C4-BFC3-49D4-BE76-E2130940F415.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 7
  • BC1EB4C8-AF70-4208-BBC1-9A7A38B88B06.jpeg
    BC1EB4C8-AF70-4208-BBC1-9A7A38B88B06.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 6
  • EF43B7EF-E1A6-41C5-B409-C7ADCBB5BD49.jpeg
    EF43B7EF-E1A6-41C5-B409-C7ADCBB5BD49.jpeg
    781.4 KB · Views: 6
  • FCEF0BB6-D92F-441C-9E49-783881E5DF9D.jpeg
    FCEF0BB6-D92F-441C-9E49-783881E5DF9D.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 19296F71-19EB-4791-9F21-7DB5F3F6B3C4.jpeg
    19296F71-19EB-4791-9F21-7DB5F3F6B3C4.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Well guess who is a happy momma! I’m so proud of Dezz!!! She is “happy mommy clucking”. I don’t have a cage or anything to put them in. I read you should put them in a cage in the bottom of the coop. Would putting the shavings and the babies and eggs, and her of course, at the bottom in a corner be sufficient enough. And when should I transition them.
Yes, get them on the ground if you haven't already. If they are in with other chickens, make sure the chicks can get food and water. Their water source should be very shallow. You can add small stones to the tray if you need to, in order to prevent them from drowning.

One easy way to make sure they get food, and to keep the older birds from getting at starter feed, if you are using that, is to turn a cardboard box upside down, cut a couple of chick sized notches at the bottom, and keep the food in there. Only the chicks will be able to get to it, but if you do that, you have to teach them that their food is in there.

Hope all continues to go well!

Yes, get them on the ground if you haven't already. If they are in with other chickens, make sure the chicks can get food and water. Their water source should be very shallow. You can add small stones to the tray if you need to, in order to prevent them from drowning.

One easy way to make sure they get food, and to keep the older birds from getting at starter feed, if you are using that, is to turn a cardboard box upside down, cut a couple of chick sized notches at the bottom, and keep the food in there. Only the chicks will be able to get to it, but if you do that, you have to teach them that their food is in there.

Hope all continues to go well!
Oh wow that’s an amazing idea!!! Thank you 😊 I still have them in the nest box because I was worried about the other hens getting their chick feed. And there really safe up there for now because they are bantams and I have a pretty tall lip on the edge of the nest boxes. But I must get them to the ground. Thank you for your help!
All this time Dezz has been so nice with me checking her eggs giving her water and food but she pecked me yesterday when I was checking on the babies lol 😝 I was shocked but I praised her! “Good mommy”

Back
Top Bottom