1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam broody

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anthonyaa, Aug 18, 2016.

1. anthonyaa

anthonyaa New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    I have a bantam broody who hatched 6/6 eggs. ( 5 are normal sized egg and one egg is a bantam egg) in my flock i have a very friendly alpha cochin rooster, 10 normal sized chickens, and two bantams roosters. After 5 days of hatching the chicks i decided to let them free range with the flock, all chickens were friendly especially the alpha rooster, except one of the bantam roosters who attacked one chick and the mother didn't protect the chick (note: the mother is the only bantam chicken in my flock) so i decided to put them back in the cage alone with their mother. My question is, when can i put the chicks and their mother with the flock again without being scared on the chicks to die?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've read that its generally ok to let chicks mingle with the flock at around 8+ weeks or so, but I'm quite sure that everyone does things differently. They need to be strong enough to take a peck here and there and also run for cover. I have only let momma do her thing from day 1 with her chicks. To be honest, if its only one little roo that is showing signs of aggression, I'd be more inclined to keep him caged, rather than momma and her little ones - only an opinion, for what its worth.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our flock. I concur with CTKen...seems easier to deal with one rooster rather than the hen and her chicks. Best of luck to you!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. anthonyaa

anthonyaa New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    Thank you for your advices!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope re-integrating her and babies into the flock goes well. Keep an eye on the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by