Bantam broody

anthonyaa

Hatching
Jun 16, 2015
I have a bantam broody who hatched 6/6 eggs. ( 5 are normal sized egg and one egg is a bantam egg) in my flock i have a very friendly alpha cochin rooster, 10 normal sized chickens, and two bantams roosters. After 5 days of hatching the chicks i decided to let them free range with the flock, all chickens were friendly especially the alpha rooster, except one of the bantam roosters who attacked one chick and the mother didn't protect the chick (note: the mother is the only bantam chicken in my flock) so i decided to put them back in the cage alone with their mother. My question is, when can i put the chicks and their mother with the flock again without being scared on the chicks to die?

I've read that its generally ok to let chicks mingle with the flock at around 8+ weeks or so, but I'm quite sure that everyone does things differently. They need to be strong enough to take a peck here and there and also run for cover. I have only let momma do her thing from day 1 with her chicks. To be honest, if its only one little roo that is showing signs of aggression, I'd be more inclined to keep him caged, rather than momma and her little ones - only an opinion, for what its worth.

CT

Back
Top Bottom