Bantam chicken breathing open mouth&other symptoms

Can you take one to the vet?
Looks like Canker inside the beak.
Where do you live?
Do you feed a nutritionally balance poultry feed?

You have a lot going on. Some things may be related or one thing is allowing another condition/disease to overcome them.

The lesions inside the beak look like they could be canker. Metronidazole would be treatment for that - you have started that I see. Why the Nystatin? Do you suspect a sour crop or some type of fungal infection?

Photos of the puffy face, poop, the whole bird and housing may be helpful as well.

If you have vet care, that would be best or seeing if you can send in some samples for testing would be a good idea.

Most vets where I live aren't comfortable/ tell me they don't know enough about chickens. At least that's what they told me when I explained what was happening and asked if I could bring them over. I might try and different one this week, if my mum is up for it.

I live in Europe.

Yes, I feed them a nutritionally balanced feed for chickens+ greens+corn+ vitamins. Gave them pasta today, not really nutritious but they like it and I feel bad and sorry for them. :(

Yes, I think there's more than one thing going on, though I'm obviously not sure.

I started the Nystatin on a neighbour's suggestion, thinking it could be fungal.

I'll try and get more photos tomorrow.

Yellow lesions or plaques inside the beak and throat can be canker, virus (fowl pox,) thrush (fungus,) or bacteria. Is there a bad odor from the beak? Canker is a disease carried by pigeons and some wild birds, and it is said to have a bad odor. Fish zole or metronidazole is the common treatment for canker.

Limping, seizures, drooping wing are all neurological signs. Sometimes neuro signs can be symptoms of Mareks disease, vitamin deficiency, head injuries, or other diseases. Your birds should be getting a balanced chicken feed for 90% of their diet. Diet might possible be the problem.

If you lose anither bird, it would be good to save the body, keep it cold, and send or take it to your state vet for a necropsy and testing. Here is a link for your state vet to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I'll check tomorrow for bad odor. Pigeons and birds do come around a lot, and they were out of their pen a lot around October. How long would the treatment last for canker?

They get a good feed, and I'm adding vitamins to their water so I'm worried it might be viral or something else. But I'll check if the is something even better at the store? I'll even check the baby chicks feed and see if they are better.

Do you think adding enrofloxacin to the mix might do any good? One of the vets suggested it but since he was speaking with the " they are just chickens" tone of indifference I didn't feel comfortable following his advice.

Thank you for the help.

Enrofloxacin is a stong antibiotic that might treat a bacterial disease, but if it is canker, I think that metronidazole, an anti-protozoan drug, is what treats canker. Has the vet seen her? If you notice a bad odor soon, I would order the Fish Zole online. Dosage is 250 mg orally given daily for 5 days. Thyme extract or acidified copper sulfate added to the water are some other treatments recommended. I would disninfect all waterers and feeders, and separate her since she is contagious (if it is canker.) Canker can affect your other birds, but since their are pigeons, they may already be exposed.

Yes, I feed them a nutritionally balanced feed for chickens+ greens+corn+ vitamins. Gave them pasta today, not really nutritious but they like it and I feel bad and sorry for them.
Yes, I think there's more than one thing going on, though I'm obviously not sure.
I understand that you may feel sorry and bad for them, but I would really focus on making their chicken feed that main source of their diet. All those other things are "treats" and should be limited. Poor nutrition can contribute to the decline of a bird that is struggling with an illness or condition. Vitamins are good to give for a few days when one is not well, but they should not be used long term.

Since you are in Europe, it will be harder to find medications, but do the best you can.

What would cause the limp though?
Limping can be from a number of things. Sadly, the OP seems to have a lot going on - from possible canker to neurological symptoms that could point to anything from nutritional deficiency to disease like Marek's. If there is an underlying disease - any symptoms that are seen can be exacerbated and it will be harder to figure out.

I understand that you may feel sorry and bad for them, but I would really focus on making their chicken feed that main source of their diet. All those other things are "treats" and should be limited. Poor nutrition can contribute to the decline of a bird that is struggling with an illness or condition. Vitamins are good to give for a few days when one is not well, but they should not be used long term.

It is their main source - they have their feed with them 24/7 which they eat since it's gone the next day, at the end of the day yesterday I gave them pasta.

Since you are in Europe, it will be harder to find medications, but do the best you can.

Il? I don't think it's harder. Google is helpful, and my friend's friend who's a vet is willing to take a look at them when she comes back from holidays. So I'm sure another trip to the pharmacy will be on my list soon.

Thanks for all the help though, I'll make sure they're getting more feed.

Photos of his feet and face.

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_120704_7.jpg
    IMG_20200209_120704_7.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200209_120712_4.jpg
    IMG_20200209_120712_4.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200209_120728_0.jpg
    IMG_20200209_120728_0.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 5

Back