Bantam chicken breathing open mouth&other symptoms

Purple1Sky

Hatching
Feb 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

It's my very first post here, so I apologise for any mistakes and for the long post.

I've had quite a few chickens over the years, but the Bantam's are giving us (my mom and I) quite a few headaches. Our first two batches died still young.

In our third, four hatched, two males and two females. 1 male died in December - started breathing with an open mouth, not eating, wings down, wasn't interested in anything. Gave him a dose of vitamins. Next day he was the same, but died a few hours after I fed everyone.

Now his siblings are showing signs of something too.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Bantam chicken, 6months old, don't know the weight but they don't seem thinner.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Male - I call him Red - stopped crowing, but does make a sort of sound whenever he sees females to call them to eat.
Silky (one female, her feathers area like hair, like silkies, if that makes sense), hasn't been as interested in rummaging, but she still does it.
Goldie - still goes around doing her chicken thing and presented us with her first egg today.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Red - around two weeks ago started limping, a couple of days later couldn't stand on his own, would try and trip, and he's still the same. Notice a few yellowish sores of sort in his mouth. Early this week started breathing with an open mouth, and it seems like the sores are bigger. His eyes seem glassy and puffy around it.

Silky had a sort of seizure early this week, stopped walking and her left wing opened while she shook. Happened again Thursday 2x, and once yesterday though it lasted longer. Didn't notice it happening today. No open mouth breathing, thankfully, and didn't notice sores.

Goldie started breathing with an open mouth Wednesday, noticed two small spots in her mouth today. Her eyes seem glassy and puffy around it.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Yes.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Didn't notice anything. Checked Red when he first started limping and couldn't feel anything out of place.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Worms? They were dewormed in December (the one that died in December had some in his poop) and again in January. Could worms have caused neurological problems and consequently his limp, and deworming made them all weaker to the point of catching something?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

They all eat, Red likes prefers greens, Silky prefers pasta, Goldie is more into corn, but they all eat a mix of corn, feed and wheat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Green/brown with white.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Vitamins since January (changed to a different type this month) + vitamin E and selenium and metronidazole (since Wednesday). Also Nystatin since Monday (was told to give that for the sores).

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Hopefully treat them myself if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I'll try and post them.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

We use hay, clean every other day.

We checked their throats, can't see anything stuck there. Can't think of anything else, but please do ask if think it will help.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_115342_6.jpg
    IMG_20200208_115342_6.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200208_115347_0.jpg
    IMG_20200208_115347_0.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 7
The sores look like fowl pox to me, might want to read about it

Any lesions by the eyes? I think I see one in your second pic

Could you take any pics of his feet maybe? Like the soles of his feet

Lesions impede breathing I read, and fowl pox can also cause a limp. I would research it. It is contagious, I would separate him. There is no cure for it, it has to run its course which runs three weeks. I'm not completely sure that's what it is, but it seems like a possibility.

I would try wiping the sores with a Q-tip and see if they come off at all

Our first two batches died still young.

In our third, four hatched, two males and two females. 1 male died in December - started breathing with an open mouth, not eating, wings down, wasn't interested in anything. Gave him a dose of vitamins. Next day he was the same, but died a few hours after I fed everyone.
Bantam chicken, 6months old,
Red - around two weeks ago started limping, a couple of days later couldn't stand on his own, would try and trip, and he's still the same. Notice a few yellowish sores of sort in his mouth. Early this week started breathing with an open mouth, and it seems like the sores are bigger. His eyes seem glassy and puffy around it.
Silky had a sort of seizure early this week, stopped walking and her left wing opened while she shook. Happened again Thursday 2x, and once yesterday though it lasted longer. Didn't notice it happening today. No open mouth breathing, thankfully, and didn't notice sores.
Goldie started breathing with an open mouth Wednesday, noticed two small spots in her mouth today. Her eyes seem glassy and puffy around it.

They all eat, Red likes prefers greens, Silky prefers pasta, Goldie is more into corn, but they all eat a mix of corn, feed and wheat.
Vitamins since January (changed to a different type this month) + vitamin E and selenium and metronidazole (since Wednesday). Also Nystatin since Monday (was told to give that for the sores).

Can you take one to the vet?
Looks like Canker inside the beak.
Where do you live?
Do you feed a nutritionally balance poultry feed?

You have a lot going on. Some things may be related or one thing is allowing another condition/disease to overcome them.

The lesions inside the beak look like they could be canker. Metronidazole would be treatment for that - you have started that I see. Why the Nystatin? Do you suspect a sour crop or some type of fungal infection?

Photos of the puffy face, poop, the whole bird and housing may be helpful as well.

If you have vet care, that would be best or seeing if you can send in some samples for testing would be a good idea.

Yellow lesions or plaques inside the beak and throat can be canker, virus (fowl pox,) thrush (fungus,) or bacteria. Is there a bad odor from the beak? Canker is a disease carried by pigeons and some wild birds, and it is said to have a bad odor. Fish zole or metronidazole is the common treatment for canker.

Limping, seizures, drooping wing are all neurological signs. Sometimes neuro signs can be symptoms of Mareks disease, vitamin deficiency, head injuries, or other diseases. Your birds should be getting a balanced chicken feed for 90% of their diet. Diet might possible be the problem.

If you lose anither bird, it would be good to save the body, keep it cold, and send or take it to your state vet for a necropsy and testing. Here is a link for your state vet to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Could you take any pics of his feet maybe? Like the soles of his feet

Yes, I'll try and take pictures of his feet and his eyes tomorrow.

Lesions impede breathing I read, and fowl pox can also cause a limp. I would research it. It is contagious, I would separate him. There is no cure for it, it has to run its course which runs three weeks. I'm not completely sure that's what it is, but it seems like a possibility.

Seems like it :'( , though there's no way to know until tests are done, it seems.

I would try wiping the sores with a Q-tip and see if they come off at all

I read it might bleed a lot, and he doesn't really like to be handled, but I'll see tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom