Pullet-open mouth breathing

Recommendations?

What do you have on hand? When we get sick, I try to save back a pill or two for the chicken first aid kit.
It matters what kind of bacteria is involved in an infection. But the antibiotic with the broadest action that is commonly prescribed to people and you might have laying around is Amoxicillin.

What do you have on hand? When we get sick, I try to save back a pill or two for the chicken first aid kit.
It matters what kind of bacteria is involved in an infection. But the antibiotic with the broadest action that is commonly prescribed to people and you might have laying around is Amoxicillin.
I have aquamox

I have aquamox

That works. Do a search on here for dosing.
I know a lot of people discourage use of antibiotics without testing, but Amoxicillin is pretty safe, and when dealing with a reproductive issue it's better to be safe than sorry, in my inexpert opinion. Just confirm your dosing and get it into her asap.

That works. Do a search on here for dosing.
I know a lot of people discourage use of antibiotics without testing, but Amoxicillin is pretty safe, and when dealing with a reproductive issue it's better to be safe than sorry, in my inexpert opinion. Just confirm your dosing and get it into her asap.
Thank you!

I gave her 500mg of aqua mox and 500mg of calcium citrate this evening, hoping to see some improvement soon. Will repeat tomorrow after work. She is still very withdrawal from the flock and not her usual friendly self.

Update-After a week of antibiotics and calcium citrate, the open mouth breathing and soft eggs have stopped (she has not laid at all), she perked up for a couple days, but now she has an impacted crop, starting her on stool softener and Monistat after work. She is definitely giving me a work out

Her crop issues have resolved with monistat and stool softener (I did the stool softener every other day for 5 days) I also added layer pellets to the flock maker, about a 50/50 mix, she still hasn't laid, but is acting and looking much better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom