Chicken sneezing a lot, labored breathing with opened mouth.

If the sneezing gets worse after she goes outside, maybe she's allergic to something in the air.
I didn't see anything about a leg issue in the initial post? Marek's can cause gradual paralysis.
Mycoplasma can cause pneumonia like symptoms and also nervous system issue.
Have you tried some immune support, like apple cider vinegar, lysine, probiotics?
I also just heard about histoplasmosis which is a fungus in their poop and can cause lung and other problems.
I don't mean to give quack veterinarian advice, but I've been researching with nanosilver and it seems really effective against bacteria, viruses and fungi. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N1WZ6GR/

Edit: another pathogen that can cause respiratory and other symptoms is aspergillosis.

Last edited:
@goats-n-oats has a good point. This could be a form of Mycoplasma that affects the feet. It's called Mycoplasma synoviae, Besides respiratory symptoms, the feet become swollen and painful. It can be difficult to treat. Have you noticed swelling in the lower legs and feet?

It sounds like she has some form of farm pathogen. Oregano oil is a good place to start, it has strong antiviral and antibacterial properties. Amazon has oregano oil for poultry.

No swelling that I can see on the leg though. She lies on her side now and keeps kicking one leg. She is alert and eats if fed. We are giving her vitamin B, oregano oil in her feed. She can't stand and have trouble balancing. Could it be Marek's? She has been this for more than a month, a few weeks ago she was getting heater, was able to stand up, then worsen even with vitamin B supplement. If it is mycoplasma synovial, how can we treat? Thank you

Hi, I googled mycoplasma synovial and it looks like the preferred treatment is tylosin, followed by tetracycline. I guess you could do both since we're not sure what she has and those two cover a wide range. Looks like chewy.com and Tractor Supply both carry tylosin powder OTC. You can give her a small bit like the size of an aspirin tablet in her water or directly in her mouth with a dropper every day for a week. As for the tetracycline there is at least one online retailer that still has older stock available without a prescription: pbsanimalhealth.com. look for Durvet Durmycin (oxytetracycline) on sale. 1/2 cc per day for 4-6 days.

Hi, I googled mycoplasma synovial and it looks like the preferred treatment is tylosin, followed by tetracycline. I guess you could do both since we're not sure what she has and those two cover a wide range. Looks like chewy.com and Tractor Supply both carry tylosin powder OTC. You can give her a small bit like the size of an aspirin tablet in her water or directly in her mouth with a dropper every day for a week. As for the tetracycline there is at least one online retailer that still has older stock available without a prescription: pbsanimalhealth.com. look for Durvet Durmycin (oxytetracycline) on sale. 1/2 cc per day for 4-6 days.
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom