Chicken struggling to breathe

Kearaaaa23

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Hello, my bantam hen is suddenly struggling to breathe a bit. She isn’t gasping for air and is eating and pooping normally but she’s sneezing and her breathing seems congested. Every time she breathes weird noises come through and she breathes with her mouth slightly open. Any help or home remedies?

I'm sorry to hear that.
Any new birds?
How's her crop feel?
She likely just has stridor, dust or food in the airway.
No new birds, it was just really random and we noticed it a while after she ate. She’s a quick eater as she’s the lowest in the pecking order but her crop seemed extra full today. We gave her some fish oil supplements and vitamin B and seemed to help a bit. The weird crying noises haven’t stopped though. Any suggestions on what to do or should I just let it be as she seems fine otherwise?

No new birds, it was just really random and we noticed it a while after she ate. She’s a quick eater as she’s the lowest in the pecking order but her crop seemed extra full today. We gave her some fish oil supplements and vitamin B and seemed to help a bit. The weird crying noises haven’t stopped though. Any suggestions on what to do or should I just let it be as she seems fine otherwise?
The supplements won't hurt her but they won't help this if it's just stridor

Does she sound like the chicken with stridor in this video?

Stridor can be common if a chicken eats fast and gets a small piece of feed stuck in the airway. Most times it goes away in a few hours, but if it continues and includes sneezing, there may be a respiratory infection. My hen that used to have stridor would clear up over night.

Does she sound like the chicken with stridor in this video?

Stridor can be common if a chicken eats fast and gets a small piece of feed stuck in the airway. Most times it goes away in a few hours, but if it continues and includes sneezing, there may be a respiratory infection. My hen that used to have stridor would clear up over night.
Update: it was just a stridor I’m assuming from food since her crop was fuller than usual, it cleared up overnight and she’s fine now :)

Back
Top Bottom