Bantam chicken not eating Help!

Albertxy

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
I have a Batman hen she started laying eggs about two months ago. I switched from mash to pellets. She wasn't eating the pellets so my local feed store suggested crumble. She ate that for a few days but seems like she would only eat certain pieces. Now she hardly eats anything. I had some extra mash feed and she eats that fine.( I only feed her a small mash portion once a week. ) she still lays eggs one every other day. The crumble is fine no mold and my other hen eats it fine. I've also tried mixing the crumble with some water and nothing and when I mix the crumble or pellets with the mash she just goes and picks out the mash ..Any ideas?

@Albertxy Sometimes I find that my chickens can be relatively picky about their foods and I'm not too sure why either. I guess it's maybe like humans and food preference. I had switched food brands for the sake of pricing and the flock literally didn't touch it. I switched back and they were fine and ate again. Your chicken might have a different issue but I'm not overly keen on diagnosing any issues over the internet. As long as it eats something then I don't think that I would be too concerned

Fairly new to having hens but I was told to switch from mash to crumble/pellets once they started to lay eggs is all. But I guess as long as she's eating something I'll go ahead and give her what she prefers to make her happy

Feed for laying hens has more calcium than food meant for young chicks. A laying hen needs the extra calcium--but if you have a dish of oyster shell available, she can eat bits of that for calcium, and then she'll be fine on the same mash that she's used to eating.

Back
Top Bottom