Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

No problem at all! :) I'm just glad if I didn't confuse you even more, as I feel like I got a little twisty-turny in some of my wording in that post. :p

I used to do this so much, and I'm still feeling the effects of it. :lol: Things I know I've read, can remember minute details about, and yet can't put together the right keywords to find them again when I want to. It's so frustrating! That's why I started saving things that seemed useful, though I still come across things I've forgotten in the past, or think of things I can remember and just can't find anymore. :he Good luck with your searching! :)
Okay, thank you. I know, it's very annoying.

I’m with you in wanting to only have strong resilient birds... harboring sick birds seems risky for neighbor flocks, too. Even if I don’t breed now, who knows in the future! Ive been very lucky— my birds look so healthy and strong... they basically party all day long If and when I decide to get some chicks, I’ll quarantine them first and make sure they are also very healthy and strong before I decide to keep them. I do hope to have some LF (that means large fowl, right?!) in a different coop and run.... have some more eggs to keep the neighbors happy!! It would be nice to free range everyone together eventually.

A good plan. :) It should be possible to free-range two peaceful flocks together, but keep in mind that sometimes birds get confused or change their minds on a whim and perch in the wrong coop. :p

Yes, LF stands for 'large fowl', the larger birds who are also sometimes counterpart to bantam breeds. The word 'standard' is also used to mean the same thing, but then you have common phrases like 'Standard of Perfection', and 'breeding to the Standard', etc. Those phrases can include both bantam and large fowl birds, and it can easily get confusing when they're all used together, so my personal preference is to just say 'large fowl'.

In other words, I would rather read the Standard of Perfection and breed my large fowl chickens to the Standard, as opposed to reading the Standard of Perfection and breeding my standard chickens to the Standard. :gig

Almost forgot! Hope the show was fun!! I wonder how many birds were there?!!!

From all reports, there were just under 9,000 birds. :eek: It's a BIG show!

Last edited:
A063D5C1-4B95-4603-AFB1-134152498DE8.jpeg
This is little red and he is our Belgian d’anver quail rooster. We got him from our cousin who couldn’t keep him. He has a very bad attitude towards people but When holding him he is calm.

a063d5c1-4b95-4603-afb1-134152498de8-jpeg.1956990
This is little red and he is our Belgian d’anver quail rooster. We got him from our cousin who couldn’t keep him. He has a very bad attitude towards people but When holding him he is calm.

Handsome guy! :love Too bad about that attitude, but at least he calms down when held. :)

PipSqueak layed her first egg today.
1111191505-jpg.1957044

Nice! Is it off-white, or is that the lighting? It reminds me of my OEGB eggs, but a little bigger. :D

Handsome guy! :love Too bad about that attitude, but at least he calms down when held. :)

Nice! Is it off-white, or is that the lighting? It reminds me of my OEGB eggs, but a little bigger. :D
It's the lighting, it is white, but not blank white like store bought eggs.

A lot like my OEGBs' eggs, then! :D This is an OEGB egg next to a Dorking egg. The Dorks do lay that pure white type of egg like the store white eggs.

View attachment 1958023
Look at that! An LF and SF egg!! (Practicing the lingo!)
Beautiful!!
I can’t wait to eat a Bantam egg! Very excited! My girls are 18 weeks tomorrow! I’ve had their nest boxes all lined with a pretend egg in each for the last two weeks

Back
Top Bottom