Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Pics
Me!! I don't show my birds, but I go to some shows just to drool at all the pretty birds there! :D This post has a ton of pictures from the last one I went to: Post #647 of 875.

Some gorgeous birds in your pictures! :love Are those Brown Red OEGBs in the second picture? And Creles, lovely as usual. :love What is the fella in that first picture?

Haha, yes, it seems like bantams crow a lot sooner than large fowl, at least in my experience. My youngest LF crower was about 2 months old if I remember right? (EDIT: Wait, one of my LF Dorking dudes, Tygo, crowed at 3 days old, too... But other than him, about 2 months is the youngest for my LF guys.) Youngest bantam crower was 2 or 3 days old. Yep, days! :D Actually, he's a bantam, so I guess I can share this here--a video of him crowing a few days later, when I finally caught him in the act. Silkied Red Cochin bantam chick crowing at 6 days old. I don't remember if this is Rufus or Russell, but it's definitely one of those two. :p

My bantam Cochins tend to be my earliest crowers at a few days old, but they also stop after about a week and don't pick up again until they're around 2 months old. The little OEGBs started at 3 weeks and just kept going, which made it fun to have them in the brooder in my bedroom! :lol: The OEGB pullets were also doing submissive squats for my hand at around 3 weeks, so I guess they just hit maturity super fast. :eek:

Haha, love it!! :lol: Nothing wrong with vultures! :D

Beautiful flock. :love Love those teeny-tinies mixed in there, and those handsome Cochin fellas! :D

Yeah, it was nice to sleep in this morning (well, not really sleeping in; I got up at about the same time as usual, I just didn't have to snooze my alarm to get there :p ), but I think I prefer the other arrangement. At least it doesn't get dark at 4:30 that way. :idunno

Aw, I hope you get some rest today! :hugs What kind of kids are we talking about here, like more chicks? :pop
wow the babies crowing!!!

Me!! I don't show my birds, but I go to some shows just to drool at all the pretty birds there! :D This post has a ton of pictures from the last one I went to: Post #647 of 875.

Some gorgeous birds in your pictures! :love Are those Brown Red OEGBs in the second picture? And Creles, lovely as usual. :love What is the fella in that first picture?

Whoa! I love the show pics you shared! Shows are really fun to just go and look! I can't get over how tiny the Japanese bantam egg I saw was! And I think the other egg was a bantam cochin egg. Wow! Can't wait to see what my girls' eggs look like!
You know, I made a mistake with the OEGBs I photographed. I waited for what felt like hours to meet the owner of those birds because they were incredibly beautiful. I'll upload another photo here...wish I'd taken more. I loved the Lemon Blue color! When I finally met the owner, I insulted him unintentionally by asking if they were Dutch! They were OEGBs without the dubbing--like yours! I didn't mean to insult... I have never seen Dutch in-person except for my hatchery Dutch (which I'm learning are probably OEGB crosses). He didn't really want to talk to me after that. There were no Dutch at the show. The first photo was a Serama! The show was probably more than half Seramas!! I loved that Serama!!

Sadly I only seem to have gotten one photo of the lemon blue
IMG_5676.jpg

Not wanting to overload y'all, so they're thumbnail size, but you can click on them to full view. Here we go! :D

Buff Brahma bantam. She was very curious and so cute with her little black-tipped beak :love

View attachment 1939708

So many beautiful Cochin bantams :love :love

View attachment 1939709 View attachment 1939710 View attachment 1939711 View attachment 1939712 View attachment 1939713 View attachment 1939714

D'Anvers :love

View attachment 1939715 View attachment 1939716 View attachment 1939717

D'Uccles (the Golden Neck in the first two pictures was sooo sweet :love )

View attachment 1939718 View attachment 1939719 View attachment 1939720

Dutch bantams, a breed I've always been fond of. Came very close to breaking and bringing home some of these :love

View attachment 1939721 View attachment 1939722 View attachment 1939723

Modern Game bantams. :love ARGH, I think I fell in love with these guys all over again seeing them yesterday! The legs!! :love :love

View attachment 1939724 View attachment 1939725 View attachment 1939726 View attachment 1939727 View attachment 1939728 View attachment 1939729 View attachment 1939730 View attachment 1939731 View attachment 1939732

New Hampshire bantam. Just thought she was super pretty :love

View attachment 1939733

Old English Game bantams, darling little angels :love

View attachment 1939734 View attachment 1939735 View attachment 1939736 View attachment 1939737 View attachment 1939738 View attachment 1939739 View attachment 1939740 View attachment 1939741 View attachment 1939742 View attachment 1939743 View attachment 1939744 View attachment 1939745 View attachment 1939746 View attachment 1939747

Here's a Barred Plymouth Rock bantam for you :p I love their barring :love

View attachment 1939748

RIR bantam, with the face :love :love

View attachment 1939749

Black Rosecomb bantam :love There's something about Rosecombs, they're just so pleasing on the eye. :love

View attachment 1939750

Frizzled Mille Fleur Serama, a name befitting that frizziness. :p

View attachment 1939751

Silver Silkie bantam. Probably my favorite pattern on Silkies. :love

View attachment 1939752

And, lastly, a Partridge Wyandotte bantam, another pleasingly shapely breed. :love

View attachment 1939753

:oops: Toldja it was a lot! :p
That looked like a GREAT show you went to! Where was that?

One of my "Dutch" (from a hatchery) girls has green legs and feet. She's the only one out of all the "Dutch" that I got to not have slate legs and feet. She is a fantastic bird and a favorite from day one. Here she is with her sister. Does anyone know about green legs and feet? From what I'm reading, it's a sign of being crossed with OEGBs. I'm not intending to breed, but I like learning as much as possible. I've been trying to learn a lot about Dutch. I love the ones I got from Strombergs...whatever they are! Here are some photos of my Dutch. Can you share your opinions on colors? I know the Blue Splashes...but are the others Light Browns? THANKS!!
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5768.jpg
IMG_5749.jpg
IMG_5767.jpg
IMG_5793.jpg
IMG_5776.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 2
AAAAH, THAT BEARD!! :love :love Oh, don't tell me she came from Eagle Nest, too! I saw them on the bantam breed list on their website and was tempted enough just from that!! :gig

Yay! I knew I couldn't be the only one! :clap Love it! Looks like our OEGBs have similar 'breed names', too (mine are Teeny-Tinies :p ).

Aha, and that explains Vampire's name, too. :D
Isn't it perfect in every possible way? :love:love:love Not to be the bearer of bad news, but....Eagle Nest all the way! :wee All I have to do is share a photo of her tiny sky blue eggs, and you'll be hooked. ;) Also, best rooster award belongs to this little man. :love
DSCN0186.JPG DSCN4846.JPG
Never! Most of us chicken people are a little nutty. :p How CUTE, it suits them perfectly. :love

Yes, yes.....Vampy earned her name after ripping a scab off my leg and proceeding to....you can guess the rest. :sick:lol: Both chubby RIR bantams share corresponding names as well - Tick and Purple People-Eater. ;)
Whoa just went to my first chicken show and took my boys to their new amazing home all in one day! A very chicken-themed day!! Do you all do the shows? Very fun! So many beautiful birds! My first time seeing Bantam eggs! Soooo tiny!
Gorgeous birds!!! I need those d'Anvers NOW. :love:love:love

Shows are far too dangerous for this addict. :lol:
When I see a bird like Selah I just think, “Delicious!” Just so cute! Squeezable! And I call my Sebrights “vultures” (in a good way) and the duccle boys are “cowboys”. The duccle girls are “bunnies”. I think the Cochins are teletubbies.... everyone thinks my Splashes are doves! The Dutch so far are Dutchies!
Delicious! :lau You would shrivel up inside if you could only hear her little sounds. ;) I need to film it one of these days and share. :love:love:love Bantam AMs emit the most unique sounds I've ever heard....not at all characteristic of chickens. :lol:

And how adorably precious are those breed nicknames???? :eek::love Cochins do resemble teletubbies, now that I think about it! :lau

~Alex

I've always wanted bantams, especially Mille D'fleures, but I'm not allowed to have roosters and don't have the budget for Mypetchicken and the like. :hmm
I dont understand youre problem. Hens do well without a rooster. Is it important to have mille fleurs? If you don't mind having mix breeds you probably can find nice chickens for little money. There is of course more to it. They need a coop and run (or free range) an food. But keeping chickens is not expensive if you compate it with other pets/animals. And a self made coop with second hand materials is just as good as an expensive new coop from the shop. Ik only takes more time, a few tools and some study.

Back
Top Bottom